CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Should I go for it>

JIMDTS

My car was on the oil consumption monitoring program..The final result is the car burns 1 qt. every 625 mi. not that bad but not good.They will put new pistons & rings. Along with timesert the whole bolck but I have to pay for the timeserts.Not a biggie to me. The car has 42k on the clock So I thinking about going for it.. SO it should be better than before Any thoughts??

Thanks

Jim

Go For It MAN!

With 42k on the clock, why not get that extra lease on life!

To never have to worry about blown headgaskets again AND

to get the oil consumption down...true bliss...

I would go for it too. The only caution that I would take, would be to get a WRITTEN quote on the timesert installation. The heads will already be off, so it shouldn't be too bad. <_<

Just make sure that they aren't going to stick you for part of the engine disassembly/reassembly along with the timesert installation. You also should ask if doing all this, if they will reseal the lower block as part of this work.

a quart every 625 miles! :ph34r: I'm glad that you don't think that is too bad! If my wife or daughter was driving that car, they would be griping that the "Low Oil" message was always showing up! :o

Good Luck,

Let us know what they are hitting you for the "timesert only" repair.

Britt

Britt

Hi Cadking

I imagine with the power module removed and engine torn down it would not be too hard to reassemble something wrong..The mechanic does a lot of these I trust him but you never know..Everyone makes a mistake sometimes..

Jim

Just make sure you are having the repair done at a reputable dealership....I would NEVER let My old "Cadillac" (Honda, Nissian,GM,Whatever you could bring in) dealership touch the inside of the engine agian...they were awfull, broke the bracket on the fuel filter b/c they couldnt figure out how to get it off!!! I quevver at the thought of them replacing the pistons. If I was in your shoes with MY old stealership I would gladly take a quart every 650/miles over a piston job......sounds like "DTS Driver" might have had his car worked on by my dealership in the past....

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5351&hl=

All I can say is make sure there reputable and make sure the majority of the cars they work on are CADILLACS.

A.J.

Hi acklac7

I trust the dealer and especially this mechanic he's been working on cadillacs for 20yrs and is very good He does 2 to 3 of these per week the dealership has a backlog on doing these or should I say waiting list.. Almost like getting a doctors appointment..as far as the wait time..

I should had said timeserting all the head bolts not the whole block

Jim

I'd go for it then...sounds like they got a good guy in there....I could picture a honda tech with a Northstar shop manual and a question mark above is head at my old dealership!..Also what has "gone wrong" with the pistons/rings that causes the higher rate of oil consumption?

A.J.

There are several things that could cause your oil consumption problem. The ring vendor could have sent rings that had the worng finish on them. The block could have been honed improperly. (Or not at all). The oil rings could have been installed upside down. (Sounds crazy, but it has happened.) There could be a wrist pin comming out & causing a groove in the cylinder wall. (Block replacement time) A leak in the air intake could have admitted dirt & worn the rings out..... The list goes on and on.

Ask about an extended warranty on the engine. They should cover all of their repairs.

Britt

Britt

If they are going to do the pistons, won't they have the heads off already? Why would you pay for the time serts if they are doing the pistons for oil consumption under warranty? I am confused here and if it was me, I would be suggesting that THEY pay for the time-serting since the heads come off during the piston replacement job and the proper way to re-install the head bolts is time-serting.

Are you just paying for the physical time serts themselves, or the time sert procedure with TIME allotted at what $100/hr? How many hours do they allot to the time-sert job?

I do not think that they can install pistons from the bottom, so if they need to install them from the TOP, why are you paying for the TIME SERTS? Proper repair procedures demand that THEY time sert the engine if they pull the heads! You are not going to tell me that TIME-SERTING the engine is NOT the prescribed procedure in that dealer are you?, and to get the engine time-serted which is the correct procedure YOU need to pay? HMMMM...... If that were the case, I would be looking up the Service Bulletins to see what they say about proper repair procedures once the head bolts are removed, if time-serts are recommended THEY should pay!

Now its possible that re-sealing the case-halfs is not part of a piston replacement procedure and you could pay for that procedure...

Hi Scotty

GM only pays for timeserting on holes that are stripped or pulled head bolts. If the mechanic strips out 1 2 or 3 etc. that's all they pay for. If it all goes back together no problems nothing pulled or stripped out no timeserts are done from what I understand none of the lower milage cars have problems with the holes only some on the higher milage one. But I will gladly pay for the timeserting while the engine is torn down. I don't know where you are getting proper that's just here not in GM's world. In other words if the tech does the torgue sequence nothing strips or pulls out no time serting is done...I figure that is worth paying for them to timesert the head bolt holes just so I don't have problems 10k down the road.I know what the cost is but I don't want to say Then many people will quote that price but the cost is minimal and fair to me.. Actually I pay for the timeserts and labor to do them and I'm not complaining about the cost.Actually they take the whole power module out remove the heads etc.The timesert are my idea not theirs but they concur with me on doing it this way. I plan on keepng this car for my wife so timeserting the head bolts makes sense to me. All GM worrys about is the warranty period 6yrs or 100k if you have the gm extended warranty which ever comes first It's a numbers game to them If some come back they for a head gasket they fix it if not it's a done deal.Sounds shi--y but It's fair to me.you get what you pay for..

Hi Scotty

GM only pays for timeserting on holes that are stripped or pulled head bolts. If the mechanic strips out 1 2 or 3  etc. that's all they pay for. If it all goes back together no problems nothing pulled or stripped out no timeserts are done from what I understand none of the lower milage cars have problems with the holes only some on the higher milage one. But I will gladly pay for the timeserting while the engine is torn down. I don't know where you are getting proper that's just here not in GM's world. In other words if the tech does the torgue sequence nothing strips or pulls out no time serting is done...I figure that is worth paying for them to timesert the head bolt holes just so I don't have problems 10k down the road.I know what the cost is but I don't want to say Then many people will quote that price but the cost is minimal and fair to me.. Actually I pay for the timeserts and labor to do them and I'm not complaining about the cost.Actually they take the whole power module out remove the heads etc.The timesert are my idea not theirs but they concur with me on doing it this way. I plan on keepng this car for my wife so timeserting the head bolts makes sense to me. All GM worrys about is the warranty period 6yrs or 100k if you have the gm extended warranty which ever comes first It's a numbers game to them If some come back they for a head gasket they fix it if not it's a done deal.Sounds shi--y but It's fair to me.you get what you pay for..

Well isn't that a kick in the pants..... You would think that GM would fix the engine the proper way to avoid future problems for the customer, afterall they have the engine out. I did not know this, I assumed that the proper method of repairing the head bolts (time-serting) had been devised by GM.... Well you will have a bullet proof engine now, I hope it does not cost too much.. Good Luck, Mike

What does this mean you lost me?

"I don't know where you are getting proper that's just here not in GM's world"

Archived