CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can a 1998 NS & Tranny be put in a 1995?

IaBoy

Hi everyone... I am amazed at the expertiese of this group! Here is my question. I had my 1995 SLS with a Northstar develop a crack in the transmission case a while back. Now.. last Saturday night I totaled my 1998 SLS in a deer accident. My 95 is still sitting at the body shop right next to my 98. I have the opportunity to buy my 98 from the insurance company for about $1,400. The engine and transmission in it are great shape. The thought crossed my mind.... "Would the Engine and Transmission from this 98 work in my 95?

I am tempted to buy my 98 from the Ins company anyway, because I think I could recover some money parting it out. Anyone need a great Northstar and Tranny with about 90K on them?

Let me know what you guys think?

Steve in Iowa

I'd say it'll work just fine. Hell some one put them both in a 95 mustang GT  :rolleyes:  <_>

:lol::lol::lol:

In seriousness, I don't think anything major changed. The 1998 Seville and 1995 Seville DID have different mounting schemes. For example, the '95 used upper dogbones and the '98 did not. You'd at least have to possibly swap brackets, etc. I'm not sure if the lower mount scheme changed...it probably did. I'd say all that would be external though...and it'd just be a matter of changing some bracketry around.

I think the transmission is the same. The '98 SLS didn't get PAS or PAL or anything like that. However, the '98 SLS did have StabiliTrak, whereas the '95 did not. There may be additional sensors/controls on the transmission for that, but I'm not for sure.

If you had space, I'd definitely buy the car back. You might get half your money back just selling the wheels and tires off the '98 (or use the mostly new Michelins on your new SLS).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I just settled with the insurance company and kept the car. I made a deal with my friend that has a building for storage and I can keep both my 1995 White SLS, with a good motor, but bad transmission, and also keep my 1998 Pearl White SLS there too while I am parting them both out. The 1998 did cost me a bit more than anticipated due to the fact that if the car went for salvage the Insurance company would have paid me the sales tax in additional to the book value of the car. However, in Iowa if I retained the vehicle they could not pay me sales tax on the settlement. I still think I can come out OK and recover some of my losses. I will be able to take pictures in a day or two oif there is stuff anyone needs.

Steve in Iowa

Archived