CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS SAE 100

http://media.gm.com/division/cadillac/sae/

DETROIT - General Motors revealed the most technologically integrated vehicle ever at today's opening of the 2005 SAE World Congress. The Cadillac STS SAE 100, which pays homage to SAE's 100th anniversary, will serve as a working laboratory that will aid engineers in developing future production vehicles.

"We have challenged our engineers to take the best of today's vehicle technologies and integrate them with promising future technologies to demonstrate how they will function together in a real-world driving environment," said Jim Queen, GM vice president, Global Engineering and general chairperson of the 2005 SAE World Congress. GM is the host company for this year's World Congress.

GM worked with 38 suppliers to integrate 50 different technologies into the STS SAE 100, ranging across safety, chassis, powertrain, electrical and comfort and convenience categories. Nineteen have never been in production, 22 are in production somewhere other than the 2005 STS and nine are currently on the production 2005 STS.

The vehicle, commissioned by Queen and executed by the GM Performance Division Vehicle Development Center, is much more than a "dream team" of technologies: Engineers will use it to document how the various technologies interface with each other and how they can be applied to future production vehicles.

"Vehicle integration is behind game-changing safety features like electronic stability control, which we are rolling out across our entire fleet," said Queen.

"Our goal with this vehicle was not simply to see how many different technologies can be incorporated into one vehicle. We want to learn how a variety of relevant current and future technologies can be made to function harmoniously while enhancing the total driving experience."

STS SAE 100 technologies include (see accompanying sheet for full list of technologies and their suppliers):

3-D navigation system: This prototype system uses actual pictures taken by satellites to provide the driver with a "bird's-eye-view" of the vehicle's surroundings. The images are so detailed that even trees and lampposts are visible. This detail helps the driver to relate the images on the navigation screen to his surroundings.

Oil condition sensor: An industry first in new vehicle features, this oil probe can determine and detect the actual level and remaining engine oil life. It can reduce the need for costly engine repairs due to poor oil maintenance as well as prevent unnecessary oil changes.

Inside rear-view mirror with embedded organic LED screen: This new device offers clear images from the rear seat (via a rear seat camera) or back-up camera, depending on what gear the vehicle is in. In addition to improving visibility behind the vehicle, it can reduce the distraction associated with tending to rear seat passengers.

Electronic limited slip differential: Unlike passive LSD, this technology enhances vehicle traction without brake/engine intervention, as well as provides additional vehicle stability from the differential yaw dampening effect. It also is easier to integrate with electronic stability control systems.

Two-piece carbon fiber wheel with magnesium spokes: This two-piece wheel is designed to be the lightest yet strongest wheel in production, which reduces unsprung weight. Reducing unsprung weight improves acceleration, braking efficiency, handling and fuel consumption.

Lane departure warning: Using a real-time vision system, it detects road markings and notifies the driver with a visual signal and a vibration (haptic alert) in the seat when a vehicle traveling at more than 35 mph crosses over the markings unintentionally. This technology could be especially promising in curbing drowsy-driving crashes.

Side blind zone alert: Radar sensors warn a driver about to change lanes if another vehicle is in the driver's blind spot. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, these crashes damage 830,000 vehicles annually.

Capless fuel system: Removing a gas cap can be difficult for arthritic, disabled or elderly people. With this system, the user simply pushes an interior button and an electronically activated ball spins open to allow access to the fuel pipe, and closes when the nozzle is removed. In addition, a capless system means there's no cap to lose and no risk of a loose cap triggering a dashboard warning light.

Adaptive cruise control: Rear impacts account for nearly 29 percent of police-reported crashes, and most are due to driver inattention. Adaptive cruise control, already available on some Cadillacs, uses sensors to detect objects in the vehicle's path and slow it accordingly.

Reconfigurable color head-up display: This HUD projects digital readouts of key data (speedometer, navigation system turn prompts, tapshift, audio settings and adaptive cruise control status and alerts) onto the windshield in an easy-to-read and intuitive way.

Rear seat entertainment system: Who says only the people in the front seat can have fun? This entertainment system consists of two, 6.5-inch headrest-mounted LCD screens, wireless infrared headphones and two Microsoft Xboxes with DVD packages. Players can even "feel" the action with a haptic controller.

Rear vision camera: This system provides a wide angle view of the area behind the vehicle for detecting obstacles while backing up. The field of view is projected onto the navigation screen in the instrument panel.

The STS SAE 100 is powered by a supercharged LS2 engine yielding 505 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 520 lb.-ft. of torque at 3600 rpm. It is mated to GM HydraMatic's newly developed, longitudinal 6L90E six-speed transmission, capable of supporting more powerful engines like the supercharged LS2. The transmission features Driver Shift Control, which gives the driver the ability to shift gears sequentially with a tap up/ tap down mechanism.

The STS SAE 100 was tested at GM's proving grounds in Milford, Mich. and Mesa, Ariz.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

There are pics listed on that link. Click on the link and look to the left hand side of the screen and you will see a link for photography. Click that and away you go.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

>"Oil condition sensor: An industry first in new vehicle features, this oil probe can determine and detect the actual level and remaining engine oil life. It can reduce the need for costly engine repairs due to poor oil maintenance as well as prevent unnecessary oil changes."<

Huh? How is this so different from what we already have?

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Some pretty nice equipment, great power, but....it still looks squeezed like a CTS.

I wish the STS would get back to the low and wide road hugging look, as apposed to the high squeezed, whatever look.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Some pretty nice equipment, great power, but....it still looks squeezed like a CTS.

I wish the STS would get back to the low and wide road hugging look, as apposed to the high squeezed, whatever look.

-George

George, I agree 1000%.

I was over at the Shingle Springs dealer the other day, and I swear, I can't tell an STS from a CTS, even after browsing for 30 minutes.

Walk away 20 feet, turn around and look back...same, same.

Just doesn't do the STS justice, IMO.

Funny thing...none of the salesmen seem to be able to tell them apart either..

And they work there!

user posted image

Lane departure warning: Using a real-time vision system, it detects road markings and notifies the driver with a visual signal and a vibration (haptic alert) in the seat when a vehicle traveling at more than 35 mph crosses over the markings unintentionally. This technology could be especially promising in curbing drowsy-driving crashes.

Lol.. my '02 does something exactly like this, working with my wife as an audiable reminder system my '02 generates a seat vibration at about 70 MPH... When she feels it, she knows that its time to tell me to slow down... :lol:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

bbobinsky,

Due to regular oil consumption of Northstar significant volumes of fresh oil are added during oil change cycle. The percentage of fresh oil may vary from motor to motor as well. Does the oil life indicator's algorithm take into account these factors?

Thank you.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

>"Oil condition sensor: An industry first in new vehicle features, this oil probe can determine and detect the actual level and remaining engine oil life. It can reduce the need for costly engine repairs due to poor oil maintenance as well as prevent unnecessary oil changes."<

Huh? How is this so different from what we already have?

Well....it has an actual sensor in the oil to measure actual oil quality.

The oil life algorithm predicts oil life based on all the parameters that have been discussed. It is a computer algorithm that is very accurate at predicting oil life but it cannot measure actual oil quality. Given that the oil life algorithm takes into account all the things that age oil it is entirely sufficient and actually better than a sensor as it predicts the trend of oil degradation and it has no moving parts to break. As long as everything works as planned that is sufficient.

In the event of dusty condition operation and/or contamination of the oil due to water or coolant from a coolant seepage issue the oil life algorithm cannot react to this. An oil life sensor can....so that is one small advantage that an actual sensor would have.

The other advantage of having BOTH is the ability of the oil life algorithm to cross check and compare against the oil condition sensor to make sure that they agree. This would have potential advantage in running the oil life even longer than is done today. By doubling checking the oil condition sensor as a backup to the oil life computation the considerable safety factor built into the oil life algorithm could be reduced allowing the oil to stay in service even longer with no possibility of engine damage.

I am surprised to see the verbage of an "industry first" due to the fact that BMW and Mercedes have had oil condition sensors in production for several years. They operate on a slightly differen principal but are in service nontheless.

Yeah, I could tell from the description that the physical makeup was different, given the fact that an actual probe was being used. It was more the end result I found puzzling, given the claim that it was new and unique.

The second part of your explanation really optimizes the entire concept, using both algorithmic,and physical measurements in a comparative format.

PS, adallack does have an interesting observation..

user posted image

Archived