CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

IPC selftest problem

phi_sparks

I think my IPC isn't performing it's selftest correctly.

When I turn the ignition on first the backlight comes on, then all the controllights, last the gauges lights up. Then nothing more.

Aren't the gauges supposed to be tested aswell, like they do on the corvette?

Some peaple say they do move the gauges to max and back to zero, some say they dont. When i tested the car before purchase i'm pretty sure it did but due to malfuntioning fuelgauge the IPC was replaced. Since replacement the gauges dosn't move during startup and selftest.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Is this a feature that some IPC's have and others dont?

Does it have anything to do with whether car is a domestic or export modell?

(I live in sweden, the car is imported from Germany.)

I don't know much about self test or how the system is supposed to work but I can tell you that on my daughters '99 SLS the guages DO move to max then back to zero when it is started.

Thanks for your reply Larry.

Atleast I know i'm not chasing ghosts here. For a time there I was almost wondering if I had just imagened the gauge-test.

Spent all afternoon in the car trying to figure out whats happening.

I've checked both connectors to the IPC, they were both in place. Power measures 12.5v and close to zero ground loss, good connection on all pins.

Noticed that when reconnecting the left connector to the IPC, regardless if the ignition is on or off, the gauges move to max and then back to zero again.

Don't know if it has anything do with mentioned above but somtimes when i turn the ignition key to on the IPC light up and then goes all black after a second or two.

Mostly everything works fine at the second try. The problem occours about once a week. You think these to problems could be connected?

Would appretiate if more people would let me know if their -99 STS's move the gauges to max and back to zero at startup.

Try pulling your codes.

On your climate control panel, press and hold both the OFF and WARMER buttons for a few seconds until everything on the cluster lights up then release them. The codes will then read out. If there is a problem with your cluster, you should get some IPC codes.

Post them back here and, hopefully, someone can help you decipher them. (The codes on your '99 are different from my '94.)

Hope this helps.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

On the '99 Seville I think it is the INFO and ON/OFF buttons to get the codes. Here is the proceedure as posted by JimD.

ON/OFF = YES

INFO RESET = NO

INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"

Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.

"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to clear/erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to exit.

SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)

ABS (Antilock Brake System)

AMP (Amplifier)

DDM (Door Driver Module)

DIM (Dash Integration Module)

IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)

IPM (Instrument Panel Module)

IRC (Integrated Radio Module)

PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

RFA (Remote Function Actuation)

RIM (Rear Integration Module)

SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) Includes airbag crash data. Under RF seat

VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent)

MSM (Memory Seat Module)

TTM (Tilt/Telescoping Module)

RSS (Road Sensing Suspension)Here is the proceedure as posted by JimD

Ive allready tried that. There are no DTC's at all.

I have two sts's, one from 92 and a 99, so i know that there are different approaches to how to enter the OBD.

It is the later one that i am having problems with.

The real problem is that i'm not really sure if the -99 is supposed the check the gauges at every startup, that means moving the gauges to max and then back to zero. Since the car is an export/europe modell i'm even more unsure.

Archived