CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How do tire pressure monitors work?

STS Scott

I was wondering how the tire pressure monitor works, on our DTS?

I just can't reason any explanation, for the tires are on the wheels, and the wheels are just a "lump"of metal bolted to the car. So how does the system attain a tire pressure reading, if the wheel/tire is not "attached" to the car?

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I believe there are two basic methods.

One method involves a pressure sensor inside the wheel that transmits a pressure signal to a nearby receiver. This has the benefit of knowing the actual pressure compared to the second method, but the transmitter and sensors add complexity.

The second method uses speed sensors at each wheel to determine if one tire is running a different actual speed compared to the other 3-tires. The speed difference can determine if the tire in questions is either too low or too high in "differential pressure" compared to the others. This method is simpler in application (just another computer algorithim) and uses the vehicles existing speed sensors (typicaly installed for ABS and stabilitrack).

Actually, this is just a semi-informed guess on my part also (from dealing with process instrumentation, computers etc), but both methods seem plausible. :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I rotate and have mine balanced on a regular basis, and have had the car up to 130 several times with no vibration. There is also a link in the archives on how to reset the units after rotating. This will save you many $$.

LOL! Pressure transducers in the wheels broadcasting their readings to the car? That's unreal! lol

I love it, I just love it!

Thanks for the insight, guys!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Doesn't that transducer inside the wheel throw the wheel balance off?

Based on a statistical irrelevant sample of 4, each of my tire pressure sensing rims have a fairly substantial weigh EXACTLY opposite the tire pressure valve stem...

Coincidence?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived