CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

anyone else notice

When I was working on the trunk leak I had everything out. First I was amazed how much stuff I actually had in the trunk area. Second with only a quarter tank of gas she sure does feel light. Was fun zipping around for 2 weeks with nothing in the rear end. But Ed's right. It does seem "happier" with a full tank of gas and I think with the spare tire, liner, and other essentials it rides more like a caddy should. Like I said though...... it was fun. :D

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

"So just how much does a full tank of gas add on to your car?"

Since gasoline is a volatile liquid, its hard to give a really quick and really accurate answer.

Check out this site for one heck of a dissertation on gasoline weights and measures. http://www.users.qwest.net/~taaaz/AZgas.html It is really involved and gets into politics. The technical points are well explained and there is a lot of referance info in any case.

Back to your query - if 0.69 specific gravity is used (this changes a bit with temperature and formulation), then each gallon weighs about 5.8 pounds (water is 8.34).

So, 18 gallons would be a little over 100 pounds (again depending on fuel temperature and formulation).

If yer feelin "racy" dump all the crap out of the trunk and run with a quarter tank or so. Just avoid hard corners at WOT (fuel pump may cavitate) :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

My friends always say never let it run below 5 gallons or a quarter of a tank!!! I think it has something to do with the fuel injectors. Its true though...

Yes its true, true urban myth that is.

If you have ever taken a gas tank apart and I’ve done a few, (mostly on Fords ;) ) you will immediately discover that the fuel pickup is usually in a pocket/indentation at the lowest part of the tank. So, if there is anything in the tank that is heavier than gas, and that would include: sludge, crud, grit, dirt, rust flakes or even water. Your fuel pickup will suck it up regardless of how full the tank is.

That's why we have fuel filters.

This urban myth is thought to have been started by nervous parents worried that their kids might run out of gas. And of course that usually lead to "parking" :lol:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

My friends always say never let it run below 5 gallons or a quarter of a tank!!! I think it has something to do with the fuel injectors. Its true though...

Total BS.....You will not hurt the fuel pump or any part of the fuel system if you run below 5 gallons....

You might have to walk if you let the fuel level go too low but you're not going to hurt the system if you wait for the low fuel message and then fill up.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

100 lbs makes a hell of a difference in any car. I don't remeber the formula, but if I recall correctly, shaving 100 pounds equals about 1 horsepower gain. I know! A lot of people claim that one horse doesn't make a difference, but every little extra scrap makes a difference. Yes, I notice one heck of a difference between a full tank and an empty tank, and I have noticed this no-brainer since I started driving.

Well I wouldnt know what a full tank of gas felt like because i have never had enough money to fill it! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I do notice that when I am driving by myself that it feels a whole lot lighter! I used to haul around a 340 pound fat guy in the back seat until I made the rule that no one over 300lb is aloud in car! JK ;) When he was in the car it felt like I was hauling a trailer or somthing ! When I drive around with people in my car for a while then drive around by myself my car feels like rocket!

I have only filled my car once with gas and that was the day I got my license! I usually fill it up to 3/4 full and drive it until the range is low! I find it feels a little lighter but not enough to totally notice. :)

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

cadillac_caddy_sts,

Quote:

"Well I wouldnt know what a full tank of gas felt like because i have never had enough money to fill it!"

Hah! :P

Am I really reading a complaint about high gas prices in the same post as emptier tanks for racing, etc? In particular - from cadillac_caddy_sts :o:D:blink:

:rolleyes:

Com'on guys get real... :lol:

If yer gonna race, then forget the fuel costs! ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived