CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT

seabass

Keeps the piston rings loose, reduces carbon build up in the combustion chamber, reduces oil consumption, scares the heck outta people! :D

Joe

Keeps the piston rings loose, reduces carbon build up in the combustion chamber, reduces oil consumption, scares the heck outta people! 

Joe

It's pretty fun too! :D

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Not to mention the guys in their 5.0 Mustangs wondering how that Caddy got in front of them. :lol:

Britt

You can look at it as "benefitting" the engine, but I think it's probably more correct to say, you can cause your engine harm if you don't do it.

Personal experience: I notice the car is more sluggish in general if I drive it around lightly for a tank or two. After I blow it out with some WOT, it seems to open up. Also notice what comes out of your tailpipes when you go WOT. Black soot and other stuff -- if you don't do it often enough.

You won't "gain" anything by doing it all the time, in the sense of increasing power or something like that. But if you define "gain" as not carboning the thing up, then you have everything to gain by doing WOT at least once every few days.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Ever start it up and hear what sounds like lifters running dry and tapping, then goes away after a few seconds? That's cold carbon rap aka piston slap. It's caused by carbon build up in the cylinder head or on the piston. The piston then comes in contact with the carbon in the tight "squish area" of the chamber causing the piston to rock on the wrist pin and the skirt slaps the cylinder wall. WOT prevents or cures this.

i have to agree with everyone about wot , it seems that oil consumption rate has stabilized at least in my case. the car has almost 75000 mi. & uses about 1qt of oil per 1000mi. with mostly highway (75mph+) driving. jmsts.

Like other "high performance" equipment...

...use it or loose it ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

For how long do you guys ride at WOT? Until redline?

Until it redlines and than shifts gears

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

IT ALSO WEAKENS AND BREAKS BOTTOM MOTOR AND TRANNY MOUNTS :angry:

not in my 95 etc, 150k, wot every oportunity (ie on average several daily).

also, rarely need a qt of oil between recommended changes ( the dic, not the local effing oil change drive in!), and that is 6-7k miles in general.

been on this forum for some years and not heard of a motor mount problem ... must have missed something ...

has there been a problem along these lines?

Motor mounts seem to be problems in certain years. The 1998+ Sevilles seem to have more problems than others here. I'm sure if you keep going to WOT from a standstill, breaking the tires loose, and bouncing off the traction control, you'll start to damage a rubber mount. You'd do that in any car. After you get used to it, you'll know exactly how to launch the car without breaking the tires loose. In other words, tip into the throttle softly for a second or two, then roll smoothly to wide open. If you jamb it from a stop, all that does is spin tires (doesn't get you anywhere) and shock the drivetrain and mounts.

I think I learned my lesson on "hammering" around with my DTS after casue of failure being high rpm related, about 4000rpms i would say but not from what i had to expect from the service manager at the cadillac dealer, nobody hear would want to go through what im going through right now, been 1 month with out my DTS so far. Photos are coming very soon...

bobinski gave a very detailed procedure for doing a WOT in a post on this board. I am sure someone knows the link to the post. You are just trying to get the RPMs up to redline for a second or two. Not flooring it when the light turns green.

(simple version) Start on a freeway going about 20 mph, keep the car in 2nd and give it gas till you reach redline. You should now be going about 55 mph. Hold it there for a second or so and take your foot of the gas. Let the engine slow the car down till it is in a normal RPM range and shift back into drive.

I know it is benificial to N* engines, but I am not sure about other caddys.

IT ALSO WEAKENS AND BREAKS BOTTOM MOTOR AND TRANNY MOUNTS :angry:

not in my 95 etc, 150k, wot every oportunity (ie on average several daily).

also, rarely need a qt of oil between recommended changes ( the dic, not the local effing oil change drive in!), and that is 6-7k miles in general.

been on this forum for some years and not heard of a motor mount problem ... must have missed something ...

has there been a problem along these lines?

I had my oil changed about 2 months ago or 4000 miles. I just added about 1/2 a litre of oil to it! Is this normal? seems like it usues oile every now and than.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

(simple version) Start on a freeway going about 20 mph, keep the car in 2nd and give it gas till you reach redline. You should now be going about 55 mph. Hold it there for a second or so and take your foot of the gas. Let the engine slow the car down till it is in a normal RPM range and shift back into drive.

In my 3.11-geared Seville this procedure takes place at around 85-90 and not 55mph :blink: Can the same procedure be performed with keeping the car in 1st, as to not attract the attention of local authorities?

In an L37 equipped car, the 2-3 shift at WOT occurs at roughly 80mph. In an LD8 equipped car, I would think it would also occur in this general area as well. At 55mph, in second gear,my car is still only doing maybe 4500rpm.

Caddy STS is in PEI ... would that 4000 mile oil top up actually be 4000 klm?

If so, thats about 2500 miles.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

In an L37 equipped car, the 2-3 shift at WOT occurs at roughly 80mph.  In an LD8 equipped car, I would think it would also occur in this general area as well.  At 55mph, in second gear,my car is still only doing maybe 4500rpm.

MPH = (RPM x tire diameter) / (Gear Ratio x 336)

LD8, top of 2nd gear, 225/60/16 tires:

MPH = (6000 x 26.6) / (1.63x3.11 x 336)

MPH = 159600 / 1703

MPH = 93.7 mph

L37, top of 2nd gear, 225/60/16 tires:

MPH = (6000 x 26.6) / (1.63x3.71 x 336)

MPH = 159600 / 2032

MPH = 78.5 mph

With the taller final drive, an LD8 car will wind out much farther than an L37 car.

Theoretical top speeds of both cars, 6000 rpm in 4th gear:

LD8: 218 mph

L37: 183 mph

Archived