CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacement cat converter

Here is a comparison of the old Vs. new Cat... Quite a difference in size! :o I had to saw off about an inch of the tail of the new one.

Cut the old one off right behind the weld, and slid the new one right in! B)

post-3-1114225870_thumb.jpg

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

For those who haven't seen the inside of a convertor... It's just a series of screens inside. Notice there is even some lettering on these yet. Don't pay any attention to that dusty old Bird in the background... Man, I gotta get going on that one! :rolleyes:

post-3-1114226110_thumb.jpg

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Back in rolling, rumbling, and roaring condition for a sum of $138.00. A far cry from the $600+ they wanted for the OEM Cat! The best part of this deal is right here on the box... Made in Good Ol' USA!!! ;)

Now I'll have to get an updated video clip of the new sounding system. I can't wait to take it out for the first cruise. Headin' to Chicago in the a.m. for my daughter's soccer tournament! B)

post-3-1114226500_thumb.jpg

Spruce..... let me know how you like your new cat after you get back. I think mine is going to need replacing soon. This past Monday, after replacing the strut bar bushings, I took her out for a good romping to see how the old girl felt. On a high speed WOT I noticed something let loose. I let off the gas and noticed she didn't idle back smooth like but rather a series of small short soft hiccups. Kind of like right before a backfire but softer. And she doesn't have the mean acceleration she normally has....seems muffled. There is a subtle rattling sound but not a full blown rattle coming from the cat/manifold area but only noticeable if you get out of the car and listen. I have yet to get underneath and give the cat a whack with a rubber mallet.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Nice job. Did you cap off the unused "Air Tube"? The "One-Way" valve used in an air-tube type system, is in line with the air supply tube. It might be "leaking" exhaust if left un-capped.

rek

nice clean job, did you weld the rear of the CAT or clamp it?

Thanks Scotty! I was able to just slip in the new Cat's output tube into the old exhaust pipe. Good snug slip fit, and it clamped up real nice! :) I'll snap a pic of it clamped up under there when I get a chance.

REK, the air tube tube came capped from the factory. I think if you need that for your system you just knock off the cap with a hammer/punch, or maybe a twist with a vise-grip pliers...

Kger2, hope there isn't anything else going on with your N*. I don't know if a bad cat convert would make a irregular idling situation like that. When mine really let loose it was pretty obvious, especially at start-up when backing out of the garage. Mine always ran the same though...

When I took mine off and tilted it from end to end, the whole inner cluster off screens shakes back/forth probably 1-2 inches! :blink: I didn't see anything actually that could break loose and plug it up.

I actually had to leave the Goose in the garage today, as we ended up taking another couple along with us and we needed the Tahoe for more room. Gas $$ ouch! :rolleyes: Just got home, and have to find a reason to get the Eldo out there now. I think I need to run and get some beer, milk, and maybe find a nice road to do some more testing! B)

Archived