CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

R134a

Ranger

In a recent dsicussion it was mentioned that R134a was increasing dramaticly. Before I left to run some erronds this morning I called the local Autozone to get a price. $12 for a 1 lb. can. Yikes! So I stopped in at Farm & Fleet, $6.99. Needless to say I stocked up.

Yes - it's increasing like everything else.... By July, a 30 lb. cylinder is expected to be $400-500! I can buy a 30 lb cylinder of R-12 on ebay for less than that! I bought a 30 lb. cylinder of R-134a at Sams Club last year for $57.....

The supply problem is due to a plant shutdown for preventive maintenance that is taking longer than expected. China-mart....er Wal-Mart has 12oz cans of R-134a for $5.88 but I have a case of 12 oz. cans on the shelf plus the 30 lb. cylinder so I should be able to ride out the high price until it becomes reasonable again.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes - it's increasing like everything else.... By July, a 30 lb. cylinder is expected to be $400-500! I can buy a 30 lb cylinder of R-12 on ebay for less than that! I bought a 30 lb. cylinder of R-134a at Sams Club last year for $57.....

The supply problem is due to a plant shutdown for preventive maintenance that is taking longer than expected. China-mart....er Wal-Mart has 12oz cans of R-134a for $5.88 but I have a case of 12 oz. cans on the shelf plus the 30 lb. cylinder so I should be able to ride out the high price until it becomes reasonable again.

I'm glad I stocked up on the stuff...

I have 3 cases sitting in my garage that I picked up a little at a time whenever it went on sale... Most of it was picked up at $2 or $2.50 per can...

I never want to get left out in the cold like I did with R12... And since it's not a big investment, I don't mind storing it in my garage even if it doesn't go the way of R12...

Archived