CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

turbo. superchargers and performance?

ok so i have a 2000 cadillac deville. silver. 70 k miles. the northstar is a beast.. its not the fastest but its amazing i will atmitt. i am new to this forum and new to the obsession that is cadillac. i am looking for some good performance.. like new tires rims. exhaust. intake.. or supercharger and turbo. i dunno what to do. i am thinking of corsa exhaust. volant intake. my question is.. would 18 or 20s be sufficient in my cadillac. i dont know much about clearance. . and they guys at tire kingdom dont seem to know. will it effect my ride as well? not only that. i saw a custom supercharger.. that should put stress on the engine. does it effect the life of the engine .??? and would a turbo make any diffrence at all in a larger car. i dont know exactly what a turbo does. i do know what a supercharger does. also. does anybody know any good performace chips that i can insert.. thanks for any input

jon

Putting a turbo or supercharger on your car is pointless unless you can reprogram the ECM, to work with it. Other wise, all your going to do is damage things. If you looking to go faster, larger diamiter rims, should NOT be on the list of things you want. They may look cool, but they WILL slow you down. Those 2-4 extra inches of metal, weigh a hell of alot more than the 2-4 extra inches of rubber. That makes the engine have to work even harder to turn the wheels. Corsa does have a system for your car I believe, and if you have the money, go for it. I've got it on my STS, and I love it. Since your car is OBDII, it does not have a removable "chip". The only way to modify the computer,is to reprogram it, which won't get you anything anyway.

Supercharger- Forced induction system, usually consisting of either an impeller, or two screws (Interlocking blades) that turn together. This forces air into the intake, increasing HP. Supercharger are belt driven off of the crank.

Turbocharger-Forced induction system, consiting of two impellers, located in seperate but attached housings. One half contain and impeller that is driven by expelled exhaust gas. This in turn is connect to a shaft that pins another impeller in the opposite housing. This seconbd impeller than forces air into the intak, increasing HP.

The reason this is so hard to do on a new Cadillac, is that you have to reprogram the engine management software, so that it will prvide the proper fuel, spark timing,..ect. Without doing that, you risk severly damaging your engine.

Wow. this forum is amazing. how do you guys learn all this stuff about caddys. they seem very complex. i am thinking of getting a 78 coupe deville red with white leather. very good paint .. so so interior. with 115k miles. does anyone know about reliability of those vehicles.

Archived