CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front wheel bearing hub replacement pics

kobalt

Excellent sequence of photos. I am actually doing this job this weekend as soon as the rain stops.. Why did you need to heat the hub, the puller couldn't push the axle out? If that's the case I am surprised, and now I am worried.... Mike

Mike,

I have had success before by having someone hold the flat side of a ball peen hammer or a large drift 3/4" dia. or so up against the spindle end. Then you give it a good sharp blow with a 5 lb (or better) mallet or sledge hammer. That will usually break the spindle loose from the hub. I think what he was heating was the hub to the knuckle. When I did my daughters (Ford) I had the same problem. They where REALLY corroded together bad. The only way I got it apart was with a pneumatic chisle. I placed the blade between the knuckle and the hub and just kept pounding at it at 12:00, 6:00, 3:00 and 9:00 positions til I worked it out.

The hub was seated quite well on the axle. I tentioned the puller as much as I could, untill it would not budge with 250ft/lb of force - I did not want apply more force in fear that the puller would break apart (possibly causing injury). So I left it tensioned and heated the both sides of the hub (see pics) for ~5mins or so. At that point the heated hub expanded enough for me to tension the puller further without much opposition at all. Perhaps 100ft/lb or so was required to pull the hub off entirely.

Both sides of my 91 came off with ease, this sucks... This is not he first time I have heard of people having problems lately however, I even heard someone here that said, that he had them replaced by the dealer and THEY had trouble.... darn....

That really makes no sense however, that the hub is binding in the axle, I would have thought that the axle spline would bind in the hub..... I have to go rent a puller from Home Depot tonight it looks like I don't think my puller will do the job. Thanks

I guess each one is different. When I did my '92 Deville I was in and out in :45, and that was never having done one before, but when I did my daughters Taurus, it gave me fits. Took at least 3 hours and I darn near gave up. It was only my distain for failure and tenacity that got the job done. Glad she got rid of that darn Ford and got the SLS.

I have to go rent a puller from Home Depot tonight it looks like I don't think my puller will do the job. Thanks

I rented mine from a local autozone - $40 and you get it back once you return the puller. Make sure the puller you get is the 3-claw type to ensure a straight pull. Mine was rated at 5 tons.

Great Pics! It brought back memories of last year when I had to do my driver's side wheel bearing. I also had to use a torch, it work like a champ.

Mike - I needed the torch on mine because the bearing was rusted in the bearing bore. With the bearing puller tensioned and heat applied the bearing literally pop out, I lightly sanded the bore to remove the rust build up. The new bearing went in with ease. :lol:

Chuck

Great Pics! It brought back memories of last year when I had to do my driver's side wheel bearing. I also had to use a torch, it work like a champ.

Mike - I needed the torch on mine because the bearing was rusted in the bearing bore. With the bearing puller tensioned and heat applied the bearing literally pop out, I lightly sanded the bore to remove the rust build up. The new bearing went in with ease. :lol:

Chuck

Thanks Chuck

• 1 year later...

Thank you VERY much for being methodical in your pics.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

On a side note, the three bolts that hold the bearing on go in from the outside not the backside on a 1996. Been there done that X2

Good Pics

Yeah, when they changed the suspension in 98 I guess that changed as well.

I have to go rent a puller from Home Depot tonight it looks like I don't think my puller will do the job. Thanks

I rented mine from a local autozone - $40 and you get it back once you return the puller. Make sure the puller you get is the 3-claw type to ensure a straight pull. Mine was rated at 5 tons.

Do you know what to torque everything to is?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived