CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Maintenance

Hello All.. Glad to be here. Have a 1999 Eldo with 70K Miles.

Best car I ever had. Bought it with 50K The Transmission seems to be real soft when going into reverse,since I have had it. Usually on cold/first start. It seems a little slippy but always works. Fluid level and condition is good. Change of fluid advisable? Or worse?

Get the small block Chevy oil exhaust smoke on cold start. Is the Northstar prone to funny valveguides or something else? It uses one quart every 3,000 miles. This does not seem to be too excessive, Any concerns?? Thanks Much

One qt. every 3k is fantasic for a Northstar. Never heard any compaints about valve guides or seals on the Northstar before. 50K on the trans is nothing. If your worried about it, drain and refill. Don't forget about the side cover drain. Mine has almost 100K and I plan on doing it this summer.

The clock just clicked 70k. The transmission is as agressive as it was when I bought the car new. My car hasn't been abused, but it sure the hell isn't babied, operating under severe duty, with lots of wots and street racing. It makes me wonder wtf way did the previous owner operate your car.

Oil: Mine uses 1 q @ 1.2k, and it's been like that since new. I don't get one speck of smoke on wot, deacceleration, or hot/cold starts. If yours is getting oil burn on cold start and uses 1 q @ 3k, it's probally valve seals/guides. The previous owner must have been a real gorilla behind the wheel.

...Get the small block Chevy oil exhaust smoke on cold start.

an01sts Posted on Mar 31 2005, 11:47 PM

... It makes me wonder wtf way did the previous owner operate your car.

Oil: Mine uses 1 q @ 1.2k, and it's been like that since new. I don't get one speck of smoke on wot, deacceleration, or hot/cold starts. If yours is getting oil burn on cold start and uses 1 q @ 3k, it's probally valve seals/guides. The previous owner must have been a real gorilla behind the wheel. 

Cliffsneighbor,

I had a '88 Suburban 350. Bought it with only 24,k mi.

Smoked every time I started it for the next 145,k mi.

thank you,

an01sts,

Are you saying the valve guides were bad because of the previous

owner?

thanks,

Mine is also getting a little "soft" going into reverse. This winter I would have to let it warm a little and shift to D then back to R to get it to firm up. It would still move but was deffinetly slipping. I've had the fluid changed and it made no difference. Looks like some tranny work in my/our future.

You REALLY need to research the posts you find here. The most important stuff is on the "Old Board" archives accessible from the main page. The Northstar has 32 valves, so just a little bit of leakage from each of them would equate to 350 valve guide performance. Does that mean they are worn out? NOT AT ALL. More important is the INTERACTION of ALL the factors that go into designing what we have come to regard as the "Northstar System". From the cylinder finish, type and grade of oil you put into it, the amount, how you check it, how you drive the car, the fuel, and finally in the end, the cost per mile...ALL of the individual items are interdependent on one another. Then you get into the suspension, the computerized engine controls, and the built in diagnostics. A good basic understanding of just how they all interact will allow you to appreciate the value you are getting every time you turn the key. Contrary to anything you might see in the news media or Consumer Reports, this engine is designed, tested, and VALIDATED for 300,000 miles of service, at a very low cost per mile, and minimal impact on the environment. I don't think any other car maker in the world can say that.

Excuse me for getting on the soap box. It has taken me a long time to realize just what has been going on over the past 12 years with Cadillac, GM, and the Northstar. NO, it is not a simple Japanese redesign of tried and true methods taken to the next level by computers. It is a completely new theory of engine design that is lost on most people. It is VERY high performance. It is not simple, but GM has tried to make it as user freindly as possible (hence the 7.5 quart oil pan capacity), but it takes PROPER maintenance and PROPER usage. The car LIKES to be driven hard once in a while..it is actually GOOD for it. A lot of old ideas that we used to accept as gospel must now be forgotten. Take a good look at the bottom line and you will see the real value of the Northstar. HAVE FUN! Congatulations on your purchase. And WELCOME to the board!

BTW, have your tranny checked at a good dealership.

P.S. Your getting TWICE the oil mileage that an01sts is, and he's telling you your car's been beat??? So what if it smokes a little on startup, put some GF-4 SM oil in it and it won't hurt the CAT. Drive it for another 100,000 miles. Oh, and change the coolant every 4-5 years, starting NOW if it hasn't been done.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Sounds to me you have a great car with a great performing NS. I go through 2 quarts every 3000 to 4000 km. Thats about every 2000 miles and not a wiff of smoke or smell of oil. I run around 2000 to 2500 km per month with 90% highway with many WOT's per week. Run her a little aggresive for a wee bit and see what happens. If nothin, at least it wil be fun.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived