CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

changing plugs and wires

GOOB

hello all,

i really need to change my plugs and wires. i just don't want to risk doing it myself because "if i didn't have bad luck, i'd have no luck at all" (hee, haw). i do certain things myself but i bought the car used just last year and i don't know if they are the originals or not and i don't have access to an air compressor/impact for removal nor do i have a torque wrench for installation.

i am getting my parts from brasington motors (florida). i was gonna have the shop that has been doing most of my work do this for me. they quoted the labor at $237 and some change. that seems a little high to me.

do i REALLY need the compressed air or can i just my regular old spark plug socket and a breaker bar? any suggestions/ideas?

thanx in advance

237 for EVERYTHING would be a good deal, if your even slightly mech. inclined you can do it in 2hrs 3 tops no air tools or breaker bar, just go slow. But I would recommend OEM wires and plugs.

Good luck Joe B)

237 for EVERYTHING would be a good deal, if your even slightly mech. inclined you can do it in 2hrs 3 tops no air tools or breaker bar, just go slow. But I would recommend OEM wires and plugs.

Good luck Joe B)

237 was for labor only. i was gonna give them the parts i order from gmotors.com (OEM).

i have read here about other "nightmares" people have had with way over-due plugs that stripped threads, broken off plugs, etc....

I think those are far and few between, but you could just spray a LITTLE penetrating oil in the hole and let it set for a few minutes, unless a gorilla put them in you'll be okay. I'm not sure but even if a shop did bust one or strip it they would probably bill you for the fix anyway. Is it giving you problems or is this piece of mind?

Joe :unsure:

GOOB,

I would say half of 237 would be fair... You probably would do a better job yourself moving slowly and carefully than the tech. You do not need any special tools.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

This may seem obvious for some, but I had a friend do his wires and he pull all of them....but his dad used to say that he broke everything that he touched. Do one wire at a time, and put them in the clips routed away from the blower motor and metal, if you can get new wire loom, use it...

By the way, the last time I suggested utilizing the wire loom, I was shot down and it was said that it was un-needed by some.

My first argument against that is, who thinks that GM would spend time and money to use wire loom from the factory if it was not beneficial, raise your hand....

Secondly, I am going to use an extreme illustration. We have all seen oil well firefighters approach a burning well with a shield to deflect and minimize the affects of radiant heat. Ignition wires are rubber and rubber on dries out from heat and becomes stiff and brittle. This results in the wires having a diminished ability to insulate high voltage electric causing a rough idle and decreases their life. It is my humble opinion that the use of the wire loom helps to minimize and deflect radiate heat away from your wires and helps your wires to last longer.

Furthermore, the loom keeps oil and dirt off the wires which further breaks down rubber... I think that wire loom should be used where the wires run next to friction/chafing areas for sure and I would put it where every I can at least replicating what was there originally. I bought about 10 feet from my dealer... Mike

Call me Mr. Belt and Suspenders, but I know for sure my pants won't fall down!

I had replaced my OEM wires with another OEM set & had to replace them again within a year - I had a major light-show going on under the hood with the corona & arcing between them. This time I used Magenecors - worth the extra $$ IMO. http://www.magnecor.com/

These are available at various sources on internet at discounted pricing.

Wish you lived near me - I'd be happy to take your $237 to do that simple job! Seems extreme to me.

I wouldn't do the job without compressed air. Not for an air

wrench, but to blow the plug holes clear of loose dirt prior to

pulling the plugs. You don't want crap falling into the cylinders.

Good idea, I always forget to do that

I wouldn't do the job without compressed air. Not for an air

wrench, but to blow the plug holes clear of loose dirt prior to

pulling the plugs. You don't want crap falling into the cylinders.

good tip, thanx.

i was gonna try using a brush to clean the area then a vaacum with small attachment or brush attachment. will that work?

I think those are far and few between, but you could just spray a LITTLE penetrating oil in the hole and let it set for a few minutes, unless a gorilla put them in you'll be okay. I'm not sure but even if a shop did bust one or strip it they would probably bill you for the fix anyway. Is it giving you problems or is this piece of mind?

Joe :unsure:

piece of mind...and i AM having a little stumbling/rough idle at times. i plan to do those and the ISC motor.

This may seem obvious for some, but I had a friend do his wires and he pull all of them....but his dad used to say that he broke everything that he touched. Do one wire at a time, and put them in the clips routed away from the blower motor and metal, if you can get new wire loom, use it...

OH YEAH!!! i went thru that problem with a shop in n.c. with my old 91 seville. guy swore up and down that he did one at a time. car was stumbling like a drunk. then after i took it back the SECOND time, he admitted that he screwed it up.

excuse my ignorance but plugs and wires are one of those things that i have always let the dealer do...wire looms???????

By the way, the last time I suggested utilizing the wire loom, I was shot down and it was said that it was un-needed by some.

My first argument against that is, who thinks that GM would spend time and money to use wire loom from the factory if it was not beneficial, raise your hand....

Secondly, I am going to use an extreme illustration. We have all seen oil well firefighters approach a burning well with a shield to deflect and minimize the affects of radiant heat. Ignition wires are rubber and rubber on dries out from heat and becomes stiff and brittle. This results in the wires having a diminished ability to insulate high voltage electric causing a rough idle and decreases their life. It is my humble opinion that the use of the wire loom helps to minimize and deflect radiate heat away from your wires and helps your wires to last longer.

Furthermore, the loom keeps oil and dirt off the wires which further breaks down rubber... I think that wire loom should be used where the wires run next to friction/chafing areas for sure and I would put it where every I can at least replicating what was there originally. I bought about 10 feet from my dealer... Mike

Call me Mr. Belt and Suspenders, but I know for sure my pants won't fall down!

I'm with you on the looms.....heck if they are there, use them...GM does things for a reason...

Russ

This may seem obvious for some, but I had a friend do his wires and he pull all of them....but his dad used to say that he broke everything that he touched.  Do one wire at a time, and put them in the clips routed away from the blower motor and metal, if you can get new wire loom, use it...

OH YEAH!!! i went thru that problem with a shop in n.c. with my old 91 seville. guy swore up and down that he did one at a time. car was stumbling like a drunk. then after i took it back the SECOND time, he admitted that he screwed it up.

excuse my ignorance but plugs and wires are one of those things that i have always let the dealer do...wire looms???????

Wire loom is that plastic snake like cover you see on the wires under your hood to protect them, not just on your ignition wires but you will see it on many wires. It dries out over time and become brittle and many people don't replace it. Either buy it from the dealer or go to a junkyard and grab a bunch from a late model car (my favorite thing to do, putz around a junk yard with lots of Caddy's)

This may seem obvious for some, but I had a friend do his wires and he pull all of them....but his dad used to say that he broke everything that he touched.  Do one wire at a time, and put them in the clips routed away from the blower motor and metal, if you can get new wire loom, use it...

Wire loom is that plastic snake like cover you see on the wires under your hood to protect them, not just on your ignition wires but you will see it on many wires. It dries out over time and become brittle and many people don't replace it. Either buy it from the dealer or go to a junkyard and grab a bunch from a late model car (my favorite thing to do, putz around a junk yard with lots of Caddy's)

roger, i'm with you now...you call it loom, i call it conduit ;)

... i was gonna try using a brush to clean the area then a vaacum with small attachment or brush attachment. will that work?

Hey GOOB,

If a compressor is not available, how about a computer cleaner can,

Compressed Air! A compressed air can should get the dirt up and

moving for the vacuum to grab!

Works for me all the time!

Archived