CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP! Where has my coolent gone?

davedog

Hey guys. I have a 92 eldo with the 4.9 engine. This weekend I was running around, and at one stop when I got back into my car and started it, it idled funny, kinda up and down for a few seconds. Then it was back to normal. At my next stop I decided to pop the hood and check the fluids and poke around. Oil was fine. My car has the coolent overflow tank with the "Cold engine" and "Hot engine" levels marked on the side. Well, there was probably not even 1/2 inch of coolent in the tank. Seems strang to me since I am not leaking a drop of anything. I told a friend of mine who works on cars and he didn't seem that concerned. I'm not sure how long it's been this way, to be honest, I haven't payed any attention to it. When I first got the car I think that that tank was a little low and I topped it off, but I don't think I've messed with it since. I was at target, so I bought a gallon of pre-mixed 50/50 coolent and it took about a half a gallon to fill it back up to the line.

So whats going on here, my car seems to be running great, and it hasn't done that wierd idle thing anymore. Is this something to be concerned about? WHERE IS IT GOING? It doesn't just evaporate over time does it?

Thanks for any input!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Let's assume that the funny idle had nothing to do with coolant. Check the end radiator tanks for cracks. The tanks are plastic and the cracks are open up when hot. Check out the heater valve - the plastic T. start the car, open the hood, manually increase RPM to some 3000 and watch for leaks (the T, hose connections, radiator tanks first). Add some 2-3 tubes of sealant.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

good ideas. Like I said before, I have never noticed any leaking except for a very small amount of oil, but I'll look again, rev up the engine, ect. I'll try to flush it soon too. That over flow tank should be up to the line right??

Just for reference when I do flush it, how much coolent will i need?

Oh, and if no leaks are found, what other possibilties are there - just that I'm too blind to see the leak? :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks guys!

-dave B)

I sent you a PM regarding coolant change some 3 weeks ago.

THANKS MAN!!

I feel like a total moron, I am so sorry - I forget about the whole PM thing :(

Thanks for your help, and again, sorry about that!

-dave B)

QUICK REPORT:

Made a quick trip to get lunch. Checked coolant level, has not changed since yesterday. Drove about 10 miles total, nice and smooth as usual. Pulled codes, one in history, A046, which I think is low refrigerant, which I already knew about. No other codes.

Hopefully I will have time to change the coolant in the next week or so....

You really want to remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level in the radiator itself when the system is cold. On your system with the 4.9 the coolant reservoir is a coolant recovery bottle that is not part of the main cooling system. The radiator itself should be completely full up to the cap when the system is cold. As the system expands the excess coolant is pushed to the tank and then it is sucked back in as the system cools. If the radiator cap is malfunctioning , however, the level of the coolant in the recovery bottle does not mean anything relative to the coolant level in the system...i.e...the radiator may be low while the coolant recovery bottle is full. You really need to check the radiator itself when cold to see. Add the coolant supplement to the radiator, not the coolant recovery bottle when you refresh the system.

If the level in the coolant recovery bottle is dropping like you indicate then there must be a leak somewhere. It would be best to get the coolant system pressurization pump to pump up the system cold to see if the leak can be identified. If a leak is identified you'll likely loose coolant repairing it so it would be best to identify the leak before you refresh the cooling system with fresh coolant.

If you can't identify the source of the coolant loss you really need to keep in mind that it may be an internal coolant leak into the oil. You would want to keep a close eye on the coolant level, watching the level in the coolant recovery bottle and always making sure that the radiator is staying full. If the level still drops with the fresh coolant, leaks repaired and a heavy dose of the coolant supplement then you would want to investigate it further.

Thanks bbobynski!!!

I'll look into that later today. Good to know that info about the overflow tank....one thing that confuses me though, if they have marks on that tank marked "Cold engine" and "Hot engine" that would leave one to believe that the coolent should always be at atleast "Cold engine" if everything is working right. I guess thats where I got confused/lost.

Thanks again for that info, I'll look into it!

-dave B)

So if I am understanding this correctly, if my overflow tank is staying at a certain point, and I check the radiator itself and it is low, then the radiator cap (i.e. the thing you screw on top of the radiator :lol: ) should be replaced?

Sorry, just making sure I get this all straight... ;)

THANKS AGAIN Guru!

-dave B)

Dave,

Why won't you just take off the f... radiator cap in the morning to see what is inside instead of wasting Guru's precious time? :angry::P

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Dave,

Why won't you just take off the f... radiator cap in the morning to see what is inside instead of wasting Guru's precious time? :angry::P

Well ADALLAK, maybe I will go outside RIGHT NOW, (if no more customers walk in) and check it! :P:P:P

Actually I meant to check it this morning....... <_>

-dave B)

ALRIGHT ADALLAK! :D

Here ya go:

My overflow tank is still where it was 2 days ago. Upon looking under the radiator cap I can see NO coolant! :blink:

Now keep in mind, I have been getting no codes or errors, and the temp has always stayed normal on the DIC.

What now? Replace the radiator cap?

-dave B)

Check the overflow line that goes from the rad to the tank. If it is split your car might be spitting coolant on the ground when hot then sucking air back in when cold. That could account for the tank having coolant but the rad being low. Worth a look. If the cap is original you might replace it to be on the safe side. Use OEM, or at the very least, a Stant brand cap.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

THANKS SO MUCH. I feel like I am finally grasping how this works. Will check/replace as nessary after work and report back.

-dave B)

Archived