CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Burning Carbon deposits

clusco

Take your car to a highway in the middle of no where and do WOT's (wide open throttles) and just put your foot to the floor when in first than wait for the car to shift gears, than slow down and do it again! Well I dont know about these guys but this is how i do it! :P

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Yup, just take her out and give her a good whoop'in. The idea is to plant your foot firmly on the floor and wind it up to redline and let it shift at WOT under load. Do it lit you don't see anymore carbon and soot in the rear view mirror.

I thought one important part was to have it in 2nd, so the engine braking generates high vac on the manifold and exercises the rings, etc from a different loading.

The speed ranges noted were 20-70 or so (before it shifts due to high rpm).

In any case, the only other carbon-burning method I recall was for carbon deposits on reactor nickel/iron-oxide catalyst deposits (add a teesny bit of oxygen with steam at about 1,400F - too much and poof)... Whoops ! that's for ammonia synthesis plants - sorry too much Chardonnay :o

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

As I recall Guru's explanation (someone correct me if I am wrong), the 2nd gear run to 60 or 70 and then engine brake and do it again was to cause ring flutter which will brake up and free badly carboned rings. Just doing it in drive would be normal prevenative maintanence. Same thing without ring flutter, which I also recall him once say, was not necessarily a good thing but won't hurt. I took that to mean it should not be a steady diet.

I thought one important part was to have it in 2nd, so the engine braking generates high vac on the manifold and exercises the rings, etc from a different loading.

The speed ranges noted were 20-70 or so (before it shifts due to high rpm).

In any case, the only other carbon-burning method I recall was for carbon deposits on reactor nickel/iron-oxide catalyst deposits (add a teesny bit of oxygen with steam at about 1,400F - too much and poof)... Whoops ! that's for ammonia synthesis plants - sorry too much Chardonnay :o

Well I do that to! I drive with my foot on the floor from about 10-70 mph! Than I slow down to 10 and I do it again! :D

user posted image

Myslef I just use 2nd and drive. I never use first unless I want to do WOT's around town just to show off my load duel exaust around town! :lol:

user posted image

So should I put it in drive, 1st or 2nd gear?

If you have the space to use 2nd to 60 or 70 and then let it back down to 40 or 50, then use 2nd. If you will be unable to let it back down then use drive and it will wind up and shift before you get to 55. I'm sure Guru will clarify.

So should I put it in drive, 1st or 2nd gear?

If your nearest highway has a speed limit of 55 then just put it in 2nd and mash the peddle until you hit 55-60. Then let off the gas and let the engine brake your speed back down to 35-40 and then hit the gas again. Do this a few times (I usually do it 6-8 times) and you should be good to go. Guru mentioned that it's a good way to blow the carbon out and not risk getting a speeding ticket.

I just realized that Larry posted pretty much the same thing before me. :)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I don't ever remember hearing any discussions about WOT for the 4.9. The Northstar has a "Squish area" in the chamber that has a very tight clearance and any carbon build up causes the piston to contact the carbon build up resulting in piston slap. I don't think the 4.9 has that problem.

I don't ever remember hearing any discussions about WOT for the 4.9. The Northstar has a "Squish area" in the chamber that has a very tight clearance and any carbon build up causes the piston to contact the carbon build up resulting in piston slap. I don't think the 4.9 has that problem.

Thanks, Ranger, I told you 4.9 was better than Northstar! :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

What is a piston slap? :huh:

user posted image

Archived