CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Arnott Front Struts Installed

Caddyman

WellI replaced my front struts Friday evening. Took about 2.5 hours. I went with the front kit from Arnott 318 shipped. It is a good products, only problem was the stabalizer link mounting holes were too smal and I had to punch out the iner sleve on te strut to allow the bolt to slide through, other than that it was very stright-foward.

Got my alighnment today, and all I can say is WOW! The car rides soo much better, albeit stiffer, but I don't care, it is beter than it was. All of the rattles, huntong, and bottoming out are gone. The old struts seemed "dead."

I would definately reccomend the replacement struts to anyone who thinks they may need them, and of course no codes.

BTW car was a '94 sls

alex

I can not wait to do my struts and springs, glad to hear you feel a big difference! That was pretty fast 2.5 hours I am impressed. Did you replace the springs and struts and have the springs mounted or did you use your old springs? What kind of spring compressor did you use? I have been checking tool rentals and can't find any good ones.. Mike

I replaced all four struts on my STS last summer with passive ones from Arnott Industries. While the ride quality has improved, I have a very annoying rattle from the front passenger side that will not go away. I replaced just about everything up front when I did the struts, so I'm pretty confident that it is not a stabilizer bushing or any other bushing for that matter. I'm contemplating calling Arnott for a replacement strut once the weather gets a little warmer.

FYI, Autozone has the in store ability to swap the springs for a fee. I don't like working with springs under that much tension. When I did my struts, I had the technician at NTB swap them for $20.00

I replaced all four struts on my STS last summer with passive ones from Arnott Industries. While the ride quality has improved, I have a very annoying rattle from the front passenger side that will not go away. I replaced just about everything up front when I did the struts, so I'm pretty confident that it is not a stabilizer bushing or any other bushing for that matter. I'm contemplating calling Arnott for a replacement strut once the weather gets a little warmer.

Did you replace the front strut mounts when you did the job?

Actually I used a shop spring compressor, same ones that midas and the big suspension shops use. I also got the 9.00 harbor freight tool one, and it worls as well, but in the interest of time I just went to auto shop on base.

I used the old springs, everything seemed to be OK, just make sure you transer all the covers, and bup stops from the old struet to the new one, and replace is necessary. And I used the old strut mounts, they seemed to be ok, all of the rattling is gone, just ve sure to put the spring back on the strut inthe same location! (an impact gun makes the top strust bolt easy to remove and install)

But get an alignment ASAP! My toe-in was off by 3 degrees!

It made an EXTREME improvement in ride, handling, and even braking.

The 300 dollar cost is well worth it.

Hey thanks, I am really looking forward to this change. I have new strut mounts, will have new springs and the boston suspension front and rear and all new bushings... Thanks for the input from your experience... Mike

I replaced all four struts on my STS last summer with passive ones from Arnott Industries.  While the ride quality has improved, I have a very annoying rattle from the front passenger side that will not go away. I replaced just about everything up front when I did the struts, so I'm pretty confident that it is not a stabilizer bushing or any other bushing for that matter.  I'm contemplating calling Arnott for a replacement strut once the weather gets a little warmer.

Did you replace the front strut mounts when you did the job?

Unfortunately, I did not, so I do not know for sure if it the mount rattling or the strut. I've seen a few instances of Arnott struts being bad right out of the box on the other Caddy board. I hate to tear it apart and replace the mount, only to find out that the strut was indeed bad. The only way I'm ever going to know is to just do it, but I hate having to have the car aligned each time I pull out the struts.

Archived