CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 deville no start

droger03

My father's 94 deville would not start this evening coming out of the store. The fuel pump was replaced but it is still not getting any gas. I checked the battery grounds and they are good to. I do not hear or feel the fuel pump relay clicking but the fuse is good. any suggestions. By the way, his car has a 4.9 in it.

Switch out the relay to be sure that is not it. I would then check the fuel filter to see if it is plugged. It is located under the car below the drivers side rear door. Next, check the fuel pressure regulator, pull the hose off it while someone turns the key on to pressurize the system. There should not be any gas coming out of it, if there is change it. If you can get a fuel pressure gage and attach it to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and check the fuel pressure.

The relay are fine. The fuel pump does not get power at all when the key is turned. I switched out the relay and the fuse already. The relay doesn't even click when the key is turned.

All of the fuses and the relays under the hood are fine

When you say the fuses are fine does that mean you took the fuse out and put in a new fuse to make sure the fuse does not simply look OK? How about a defective fuel pump. I know someone who replaced a fuel pump and it went bad a week later. I think there was something not right with the electrical connection to the pump; not sure if it was the pump itself or at the harness connection.

Have you checked the output from the puimp relay for voltage while a helper turns the key to the ON position? Presence of voltage would indicate a good relay. If you do not have 12 volts at the pump side of the relay, then check for voltage at the input. If there is voltage at the input, the relay is bad.

If you do not have voltage at the input side then you need to look at the fuse that feeds the pump circuit.

If the electrical portion checks OK, then you need to look at the pump iteslf.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived