CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radio wont turn off

Jerry M.

HI, I am new here. I have a 99 Eldorado Coupe. The last couple of mornings I have had to jumpstart my car. Right now when I turn the car off and open the door the radio remains on and won't turn off. I turn it off manually but somehow there is a drain and in the morning I need to jumpstart the car. Sometimes when I open the door it shuts everything off and all is normal the next day. I can't see any door switches,, maybe bad??

Any help would be appreciated, before I have to take it in..

thanks

Jerry,

1. When you open the door after taking the key out, do the courtesy lights stay off and the radio stays on?

If 1 is true, then the problem seems related to a door switch. Try other doors?

If 1 is false, (the courtesy lights work normally - as being controlled by a door switch) then it seems some relay or logic circuit powering the radio is fouled up.

Simple, no-cost fix attempt - is to disconnect the battery for a bit (although it runs down it might not be low engough to reset certain items).

And hope for smarter folks to post answers :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Thanks for the reply TDK, The courtesy lights do work as they should. The radio stays on after taking the key out and doesn't matter what door I open it still stays on.

Sometimes the alarm even went off during the night, and in the morning I have to jump start it.

Thanks again

Well,

The "Theft Deterrent" feature of the radio itself, might also be what's setting off the alarm. I'm not certain how that feature exactly works, but its plausible.

I would suspect the radio of being SITH (Screwed In The Head) and swap it with a junker (sorry...pre-owned electronic equipment) for a week-long test.

Make a deal to buy it for a bit more if it does the trick, or take it back for a small rental if it does not fix the problem.

Time to consider an upgrade anyway? :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

It sounds as though you might have a problem with the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) feature that allows your accessories to remain powered for a period of time after the ignition is turned off. Opening the door is supposed to deactivate RAP.

A quick check: activate the windshield wipers and then turn off the ignition; the wipers should keep running. They should stop when you open the door. If not, you have a RAP fault.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It sounds as though you might have a problem with the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) feature that allows your accessories to remain powered for a period of time after the ignition is turned off. Opening the door is supposed to deactivate RAP.

A quick check: activate the windshield wipers and then turn off the ignition; the wipers should keep running. They should stop when you open the door. If not, you have a RAP fault.

Regards,

Warren

The wipers continue to work, with the key out of the ignition and doors wide open.

Is there a way to disable RAP?

Let's keep in mind for a moment that I have a '95 Eldorado, so when I reference my Service Manual you'll need to remember that your vehicle might be slightly, or even substantially different than mine (though I'd wager on slightly).

On mine, the RAP relay "E" (page 8A-15-0) is denoted as "Trunk Compartment #2 Micro Relay Center" (In LH electronics bay mounted on board). Pulling this relay (on a '95) will disable RAP for the radio and windshield wipers while leaving RAP for the windows and Astro Roof unaffected (windows and roof are controlled by the RAP relay under the hood behind the washer reservoir). If you have such a relay, give it a yank and put it in your glove box for a day or two. If your battery drain disappears, you've likely either a stuck RAP "E" relay (kinda unlikely, BUT one nevers knows!) or a RAP module problem.

On a '95 the RAP/Illuminated Entry (RAPIE) module is located "In RH electronics bay, mounted on board" (trunk). Before replacing it, thoroughly clean the mating connectors to see if that helps.

Of course, it could be any number of other things including wiring, bad ground etc.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction . . . . :rolleyes:

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Also unlikely, but don't overlook the possibility of a bad ignition switch.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived