CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How do you spell Cadillac in Chinese?

jhall

Hi guys,

I'm back from a 15 day excusion in Asia which included some time near Shanghai China.

OK, so I might be close to an off-topic post, but here's the saving grace. I caught a picture of the sign as I was leaving the airport. Look closely above the green road signs that are in Chinese to see the caddy ad.

The second picture was a chance encounter at a toll booth. Saw this and grabbed the camera. It's the only one I've seen in my visits. It's either a government car or a local rich man (very, very rich). The living rates in this area of China are far below the U.S. costs, so this guy has big bucks.

On the home front, the machine shop is finishing up the exhaust seats on my DeVille N*. Man, they are really slow. I hope the time they've spent reflects the quality of their work or I'm going to hit the roof. I'll catch up when I have some technical info to add.

post-3-1111579329_thumb.jpg

Chinese words can be spelt either tranliterated or symbolic.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

If you type Cadillac and then choose to translate from English to traditional Chinese you will see how it's spelt transliterated. It will only work if your browser has support for the Chinese language. Otherwise, if your browser does not support chinese characters you will see perhaps a bunch of question marks or odd symbols.

卡迪拉克

Not sure if you can read that above, but it's Cadillac in traditional Chinese.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Wow, if I have the perspective right, that is one huge billboard! :blink: Looks cool, haven't seen one like that before. What is that bar/structure above it, lighting?

That rich Chinese guy better get somebody to keep his car clean... Look at those filthy tires! :P

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Very cool to see a growing Cadillac presence on the international scene! I think the general is finally starting heading in the right direction again. (well ok, continuing to head in the right direction, they started with the original STS!!)

Wow, if I have the perspective right, that is one huge billboard!  Looks cool, haven't seen one like that before. What is that bar/structure above it, lighting?

Yes, this is a HUGE billboard that extends completely across a six lane highway (with a two lane median). The bar across the top is decorative if I recall correctly. The actual lighting of the sign is done with a large number of high intensity discharge lamps that are in a long row on the bottom of the sign.

In case anyone is wondering why all the jobs are pouring into China (and India, for that matter), I can name a few: No environmental controls to speak of - air pollution is incredible (complete with burning eyes, metallic taste in your mouth 24 hours per day and difficulty breathing on some days), erosion control does not exist at any construction site - and forget about general safety for the public. It's definately a different world.

Archived