CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wiper Arm Question

Regis

My wipers are riding a bit to high. In otherwords...... when I turn them on they wipe a little past where they should and when on delay mode they rest a little too high and obstruct my view of the road. I'd like to adjust the arms a notch or two down. I think this would solve both problems.

Now here is my problem. I took the plastic caps off both arms and removed the nut(s) holding the arms. I'm assuming that the arms are supposed to just pull up, therefore, allowing me to advance the arms in either direction. Is this correct? Because I can't seem to be able to pull the arms up off the posts. :( Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. -kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I thought the arms pulled straight off as you described. Is ther a hidden "C-ring" underneath or something?

However, what I really wondered was - why would the arms be riding high in the first place?

Was this always a problem?

Are both arms too high?

Did the motor mechanism slip somehow (if this is even possible)?

Did you install larger wiper arms recently?

A last guess, did the roof/window get mashed down and you didn't notice... :o

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

The arm should be set in a lightly toothed ‘gear’ on the driver shaft (post). Typically, there’s a locking ‘arm’ that, using a lever at the bottom of the shaft you either press toward the shaft,(using a screwdriver) or pry lightly away while pulling up. One or the other should release the arm. When you have it removed, you can reset the arc of the wiper travel by reducing or adding a degree or two to the geared shaft when you reinstall the arm.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I just replaced my arm and they are very hard to get off once they have been seated. I actually cracked the nut about 1/4" and used a large pair of channel locks to pop the arm. I need to re-pop mine as it is not sweeping out far enough. The material in the arm is soft and the teeth on the shaft actually create teeth in the arm.

TDK- the arms have always been a little high. I've finally decided to tackle it. I think over the years the arms have gotten a little lazy. :lol:

Bob- I was looking for a lever of some type to release the arms. I'm familiar with that style. Unfortunately I can't seem to locate anything that resembles one. I'm going to soak the nuts and spray some silicone under the "skirt" type housing that covers (I believe) where the gear teeth are and see if that loosens thing up a bit. Then I'll try the channel locks like Scotty suggested with some anti-slip rubber matting so as not to scratch up the wiper arms.

It appears to me that the arms just sit down on gear like teeth and the nut(s) on top keeps if from lifting off. Seems like a pretty simple straight forward design. Probably some corrosion causing the arms to stick. Does all this sound right?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

A last guess, did the roof/window get mashed down and you didn't notice... :o

I had to read that again just to be sure. :lol: I hope I would notice something like that.

"Burns" rubber

When attempting to remove the arm, did you first pull the arm away from the windshield, to lock it out? When the arm is in the down position, it still has spring pressure on it. So it tends to push against the lower mounting part of the arm, while trying to remove it. Just a tip, if this step was forgotten.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

That release lever went wayside years ago. The wipers are a peice of cake to remove, once you know how to do it: Remove the nut, lock the wiper in its 90' upright setting to unload the spring. Then push on the arm, pushing down meaning the same motion/direction as if you were installing it. You might need to try a few times, but it should break free in a couple of pushes.

I have a similar problem with my wipers getting out of sink. We live in the northeast and my signifant other never turns off the wipers, so when we get snow or freezing the wipers slip. My 94 Caddy has a simple hex nut

which will loosen and allow you to index the wiper arm the required notches to correct. After the adjustment simply tighten the nut very securely. I believe they are about 7/16 to

1/2 nuts (or 10-12 mm).

Years back i worked at a glass shop and removed many a wiper arm to get at windshield, this technique i still use to this day. On drivers side arm remove plastic cover , remove nut , take blade arm with left hand and pull it all the way from windshiel, usually about a 45 degree movement , place left thumb on top of post where you removed nut, take flat blade screw driver in right hand and place wide part of blade under the lower outer edge of blade arm . At this point lift up with left hand and pull up with screw diver blade , your right hand thumb should be at the very end of the screwdriver blade almost touching post. On newer cars it should be fairlyquick to come off, older cars it can be a *smurf*. I know a lot of you do not believe in the snack oil products, but Idiot Zone , handles a product called MASTER BLASTER, it is a penetrating oil in a spray can which i recommend spraying on the post where the nut was , usually 2 or 3 times. It is the best stuff i have ever used to free old rusty bolts and exhaust manifold bolts and nuts, no tool chest should be without it. IF you ever use it you will always have a can handy. GOOD LUCK.

Archived