CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

transaxle problem ?

FSchuett

Hello,

I´ve a little problem with my ´95 Eldorado.

If I drive with 2000 RPM and I press a little

the accelerator pedal the RPM goes to 2500

an 3 seconds later to 2000 RPM.

At 3000 RPM is this problem not and the

engine runs with 3500 RPM without any different.

Now, I think it´s the overdrive.

Is it normal ?

No error codes !

With best wishes from germany

Frank

FSchuett,

I beleive that the RPM increase that you describe is due to the torque converter clutch unlocking.

To test, establish a cruise at 2000 RPM and while holding this speed with your right foot on the throttle, (no cruise control) use your left foot to just LIGHTLY apply the brake. You should notice a similar increase in RPM as the convertor unlocks. This is completely normal. While doing this test, do not press on the brake hard enough to have the brakes apply. Just a slight pressure should be enough to unlock the convertor.

If you try this while using the cruise control, the cruise control will turn off and you will start to decelerate.

I hope that this helps explain question.

Britt

Britt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello navion,

If I drive with 2000 RPM an press with the left foot the brake pedal (a little bit) the RPM is the same as without pressing the brake pedal.

Now, when I drive normal at the "Autobahn" with 2000 RPM (for example) and than I press the accelerator pedal a little bit, the RPM goes to 2500

an 3 seconds later to 2000 RPM.

In my old car (Chysler 300M and Jaguar X308) I have not these phenomen.

Is it the torque converter clutch ? Or is it normal ?

If I press the accelerator pedal very strong the car runs very nice and goes....

Frank

I think rapid RPM change from 2000 - 2500 - 2000 may be rather associated with changing th egears than locking the VCC. In the VCC case it would be something like 150 RPM and definitely not 500.

Try manually shift to lower gear while @ 2000 and you probably will get 2500 RPM.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

FSchuett,

It appears that you have a torque convertor clutch apply problem. If this is the case, your torque convertor will overheat and eventually lead to failure. This could be as simple as a defective or misadjusted switch, broken wire or bad torque convertor. There is also a small o ring seal on the transmission shaft that can fail. Sometimes this seal is not replaced when the torque convertor is changed. If it is damaged or missing, then the TCC (torque convertor clutch) will not engage.

You need to check your transmission fluid to see if it has a burnt smell and is starting to turn dark.

Whatever you do, you need to repair this fairly soon, or you could be looking at a major transmission overhaul.

I am hoping that is is a switch or wiring problem.

Keep us informed.

Good Luck

Britt

The following is a German translation of the above by SDL International' free translation website. Please comment on the accuracy of the translation Mr. Schuett.

FSchuett,

Es erscheint, dass Sie eine Drehmoment convertor Kupplung lassen, verwenden Problem. Wenn dies der Fall ist, wird Ihr Drehmoment convertor überhitzen und wird schließlich zu Ausfall führen. Dies könnte ebenso einfach als ein mangelhaftes oder misadjusted Schalter sein, gebrochenen Draht oder schlechtes Drehmoment convertor. Es gibt auch eine kleine Oringabdichtung auf dem Übertragungsschaft, der versagen kann. Manchmal wird diese Abdichtung nicht ersetzt, wenn das Drehmoment convertor geändert ist. Wenn es oder Verpassen beschädigt ist, dann wird der TCC (Drehmoment convertor Kupplung) nicht engagieren. Sie müssen Ihre Übertragungsflüssigkeit prüfen zu sehen, wenn es einen verbrannten Geruch hat, und, Finsternis anfangen zu drehen. Was auch immer Sie machen, Sie müssen reparieren dieses ziemlich bald, oder Sie könnten eine Hauptübertragungsüberholung anschauen. Ich hoffe, dass das ist, ist ein Schalter oder Verdrahtungsproblem. Halten Sie uns auf dem Laufenden.

Viel Glück

Britt

Britt

Hello navion,

thank you for your answer.

Now, where is these switch...

How can I check the switches and cable ?

My car is from ´95 with original 28.000 mls,

I think it´s a switch problem because the stand very long.

Now, I´ve the problem not at low speed (for example 2000 RPM with 40 mls)

it´s also at the highest speed with 2000 RPM.

Work these torque convertor not at all speed and RPM ?

Why is it not at low speed ?

Frank

Now, the transaxle fluid is the first in the car (from 1995) with the original transparent pink color, without any smell and colorchange.

IF the converter clutch is damage is the color the same or brown ?

Frank

Hello,

my problem is that here in germany we have not good Cadillac dealer or repair shops and these peaple wants to install a new transmission.

Frank, same here ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Now, I´ve testing my car at the last weekend, here the result:

- No error codes

- Transmission fluid is tranaprent pink without any burning smell

- In the 3. and 4. gear at 2000 RPM if I press a little the acelerator-pedal the RPM

goes to 2500 (for example) and after 1-2 second down to 2000 RPM (Although I

press the acelerator pedal a little bit).

- At 3000 RPM the car dirves very nice.

- At 2000 RPM if I press down the acelerator-pedal the car drives very nice.

- The test with braking at a constant speed with one foot at the acelerator-pedal

and one foot at the brake-pedal is OK. If I press the brake-pedal the RPM goes

200 RPM high and after 1-2 seconds in the normal RPM.

Now, is it the converter clutch or my mind (I´m a sensitiveness driver say my wife) or is it normal.

Thank you very much.

With best wishes from germany

Frank

Archived