CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil consumtion

scottfc

This thing is thirsty for oil but goes like a bat outta hell and has no visable smoke out the pipes, but if it does blow the junkyard has a bunch of wrecked caddies and therefore Northstars, some with low miles for $850.00.....850.00... I may just look for a vw to drop one in!

How much oil do you burn between oil changes? I will typically use from 2-3 quarts every 5-6,000 miles. Northstars' do burn oil. Some more than others.

If you're using a quart every 500 miles it may indicate carbon deposits on the rings. I remember some discussion about carbon build up on the rings which can cause excessive oil consumption. If your engine is mechanically sound, meaning the rings, valve guides, etc. are not worn, I would think it's possible that you have carbon. One way to clear carbon is to WOT (wide-open throttle) the engine every so often. I remember Bbobynski saying that you can WOT by shifting into second at a safe speed and then punching it up to about 65-70 and then let off the throttle and let the car decelerate on its own.

Running an engine a half quart low as a means to control oil consumption isn't sound mechanical reasoning. Oil consumption is, and has been, a huge complaint from n/s owners. If running the engine a half quart low was a solution, Cadillac would retrofit the dipstick with a different calibration.

Also, it make zero difference in oil consumption because I pay close attention to this type of things. You can set your watch that mine burns 1 quart every 1k. It burns the 1st quarter of a quart @ 250 miles, the 2nd quarter of a quart @ 500 miles, the 3rd quarter of a quart @ 750 miles, and the last quarter of a quart @ 1,000 miles. And one time, it was down to 6 quarter quarts low @ 1,500 miles.

In other words, it burns every 1k, regardless to the level on the dipstick. You have to remember that some people are obsessed with runing sludge in their car's crankcases, and sludge deosn't burn as fast as oil. They say that's it okay, and n/s's love sludge; even so, I feel more than confidant that my car won't puke if it gets fresh oil @ 3k.

Also don't top off your oil level at the MAX mark. That will only promote consumption. Keep it no higher than half.

I'll second that. I used to top off to the line but then shifted to about half way on the dip stick. I'll have to admit that it does appear to burn less oil. 7-1/2 Qts is a lot of oil and losing a quart hasn't hurt this northstar. But then I'm not as paranoid as some. I think that's why GM installed a "Low Oil" DIC message. But then again they probably don't know what they're doing. LOL :rolleyes:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The MAX mark is overfilled. 7 1/2 qts is 1/2 way up the stick. If you are keeping your oil level at the MAX mark your probably burning more than necessary. The point is not to run it 1/2 qt low but NOT to run it overfull.

If you are insinuating that following the OLM is sludging the engine up and will lead to an early demise, how do you explain the ones with 100k and 200+k and follow the OLM?

I have taken my fathers '78 Ford engine apart to replace a worn cam at 55k. He religiously changed oil at 3K. I scapped "pudding" out of that engine. Two lobes worn and two lifters dished. So much for 3k oil changes. There is a big difference between oils then and oils now. You don't have to accept the advances in oils that have come along in the last 20 or 30 years that have been explained many times by Guru. I know old habits die hard. I did not give up the 3K changes easily as I am a graduate of the "old school" too. But to insinuate that those of us who do are running sludge and are in for an early demise is nothing but personal opinion. Have any proof? I guess I take that as a personal insult as I maintain my cars meticulously and have yet to see any signs of sludge. I am about to purchase a pro-vision fiber optic scope. WhenI do, I'll have a peek inside the cam cover and let you know how much sludge I see.

Sorry for the rant, I'll get off the soap box now and yeild the floor.

sludge???? from what, the exxon valdez?

Sorry, but i must be doing something wrong. Daily wot's (every reasonable opportunity), 150k mi + (95 etc), and I sometimes have to add a quart between changes (the ones the systems tells me are necessary). Don't know the mileage, don't care. The N/Star system is keeping close watch on my behavior and it knows when to advise me to change the oil. Ok, close enough to know its way more that 3K.

No smoke, no burn, bat outtahell perfomance .... must be the sludge.

It should also be said that we need to make sure we're checking the oil level with a HOT engine. The level WILL be different between hot and cold. The conventional wisdom is to completely fill the engine with oil after an oil change, but that's COLD oil. If you fill the engine to "the top" with cold oil, the actual running oil level when the oil gets hot is 1/2 qt or 1 qt. "overfilled", and it WILL burn that "extra" oil off quickly.

On mine, the oil consumption greatly depends on the way I drive. If I drive it moderately, it uses very little oil. If I drive it real hard all the time, it might use a quart in 500 miles. It makes a lot of sense to me. Bbobynski has explained before that the engine (and all engines) uses a "total loss" oiling system, meaning that the upper area of the engine is lubricated with oil that eventually gets burned in the combustion chamber. If you figure you lose an infinitessimal amount of oil with each combustion event, the harder you drive the car, meaning the faster you turn the engine all the time, you'll lose more oil over time than if you were driving it slower. It makes sense to me, and that's exactly how my engine operates after almost 150,000 miles.

One way to ensure you're not "overfilling" the engine is to pour in the proper oil amount, regardless of what the dipstick says. 7.5 quarts with a filter change. After that, check it HOT on a level surface and the dipstick should read very close to the "full" mark. If it doesn't, take a hobby knife and mark your own personal "full" mark and go from there.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It should also be said that we need to make sure we're checking the oil level with a HOT engine. The level WILL be different between hot and cold. The conventional wisdom is to completely fill the engine with oil after an oil change, but that's COLD oil. If you fill the engine to "the top" with cold oil, the actual running oil level when the oil gets hot is 1/2 qt or 1 qt. "overfilled", and it WILL burn that "extra" oil off quickly.

On mine, the oil consumption greatly depends on the way I drive. If I drive it moderately, it uses very little oil. If I drive it real hard all the time, it might use a quart in 500 miles. It makes a lot of sense to me. Bbobynski has explained before that the engine (and all engines) uses a "total loss" oiling system, meaning that the upper area of the engine is lubricated with oil that eventually gets burned in the combustion chamber. If you figure you lose an infinitessimal amount of oil with each combustion event, the harder you drive the car, meaning the faster you turn the engine all the time, you'll lose more oil over time than if you were driving it slower. It makes sense to me, and that's exactly how my engine operates after almost 150,000 miles.

One way to ensure you're not "overfilling" the engine is to pour in the proper oil amount, regardless of what the dipstick says. 7.5 quarts with a filter change.

Unless, of course, you happen to have a quart or two of "sludge" that refuses to drain out. ;) I would definitely default to the dipstick at that point.....unless the dipstick happens to be a person. Bahahahaaa.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived