CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

boston struts

scottfc

Just had the struts installed and love the ride, it's soo much better the bouncing down the road but the service light comes on from time to time even though the wires were soldered.

Glad to hear that scott, I have them sitting in my garage right now! Hope to install them soon, going to buy springs also. Mike

What code do you get? It may be unrelated to the strut diagnostic. Maybe the position sensors are disconnected. Also, make sure the resistor solder connections are well insulated. You may also want to take a multimeter and measure the resistance of the bypass end to end, jiggle the wires to check for a intemittent open/short also note the resistance - it should be ~10-12 ohms because it is possible you were sent a resistor of the wrong value.

jackc brought up a good possible solution however, he said he is going to remove the electronics from the OEM struts when he gets passive struts, and fool the system with the old electronics if he gets a code with the passive struts. Very innovative idea! I am saving the electronics out of my OEM struts, and if the boston trickery does not work, will consider the old electronics.... cool huh? Thanks to jackc

Tape up or RTV the soldered ends of the resistor, if these ends touch the chassis at all then you will get a message. You should be able to leave the heatsink exposed to help with power dissipation.

The dic only displays a simple message unless you read out the codes. Look up, reading codes in the archives or go to the how-tos on caddyinfo.com. The codes are much more specific than the "Service Ride Control" message.

Archived