CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BMW 740/750IL vs Seville/DTS

tonyny

I realize this may be apples and oranges but I like the looks of the PRE 2002 BMW 7 series. I'm also attracted to the STS and DTS Caddies. In the unlikely event that someone has owned/driven all 3 how do they compare? I believe the 740il has 282hp and the 750il 326hp and considering the 750 is a heavier car than the caddies I assume the power is similar? What about the ride?

Thanks

"Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again"?

You are comparing apples and oranges on several levels. First off the cost of a pre owned 7 series of STS will differ vastly, that being said it’s really about how you feel about driving the car. Comparing vehicles isn’t about numbers and stats it’s about attitude. I’ve driven and owned all kinds of vehicles, but the one that illustrates this best is my 1993 Harley Davidson Fatboy FLSTF, which I sold in 2003 for more than I bought it for new “go figure”. The FLSTF isn’t an engineering marvel nor is it a state of the art motorcycle, but it’s a Harley and it’s a pleasure to ride and it has attitude . I’ve bought and sold more than a dozen 911s and Corvettes over the last twenty years and still buying and selling Corvettes not that the Corvette is a better car than the 911, but that I LIKE it better. Don’t get my wrong Vettes have their problems just as Harley’s do , but I love driving them. If you are looking for image and resale value then buy the BMW however if you are looking for fun and attitude get the STS.

If you are looking for image and resale value then buy the BMW however if you are looking for fun and attitude get the STS.

Eh are you saying the BMW'S aren't fun and don't have an attitude? I beg to differ. As for prices 2001 740ils go in the mid 20ks depending on mileage. Not bad considering what they went for NEW.

"Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again"?

Eh are you saying the BMW'S aren't fun and don't have an attitude? I beg to differ.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying;

I like BMWs a lot as I like a Porsches, just as every yuppie has been conditioned to like them, however the difference with a caddy or a vette is only a true gearhead respects them .

I think the early 2000-era 7-series Bimmers are one of the best-looking cars out there. I don't think the reliability is any better or worse than a Cadillac's. If you live where it snows, the RWD BMW will be inferior to the FWD Seville whenever it's slick outside.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived