CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine knock?

danbuc

I'll have the car in the shop at school tomorrow, so I can try the spark plug removel thing, and also mess with the accessory drive belt.

Just so you know, it makes this sound at any temperature, whether I've just started it, or run it for 3 hours straight on the highway. The more I listen to it, the more I realize that it not really comeing from one side of the engie, but really one end of the engine. In other words, it sounds like it's comeing from where the intermediate shaft rides, behind that front cover.

I went out and bought a 5/8" 2 ft section of fuel tubing, to help me listen for the noise. It has worked pretty good, although I'm going to try and find a Mechanic's Stethascope to use tommorow. That may help me get a better grasp of where it is. Just out of curiosity Guru, do you know if a worn, or damaged component like a tensior, or the teeth on the sprocket attached to the intermediate shaft can make a knocking sound like that? It does mention it in the service manual, but it's kind of hard to tell. I don;t think it's anything to do with the piston, since the service manual states, that the knock would increase ion volume and intensity, as engine RPM's rise. It states the same for crank, and rod bearing. This knock, is a steady rythim, and never get's louder when you rev the engine. It's just stays the same, and get's drowned out by the natural sound the engine makes. When you bring the rpm's back down, it reappears since the level of noise has gone down far enough to hear it. This is what the service manual says might be caused by a timing component, but I really need to get a better listen device.

I just remember that one of my teachers has a device withh allogator clips, hooked up to a set of amplified headphones. You attach the different clips to different parts of the car, and then switch between them, to find the loudest source of the noise. I'l have to see if I can use that, since it will probablyt be my best bet for isolating the sound. Thanks for the input Guru, I'll try that stuff out tomorrow if I can.

• 14 years later...