CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk Mounted CD Changer problem

paran0id

My 97 Deville has a trunk mounted JVC 12 disc changer. (I beleive it was factory installed) and a "remote" mounted above the steering coloumn to control it. I hadnt used it in a while, and recently loaded it up with some new cd's before a long trip, and when I got on the road and went to turn it on, nothing! I checked all the fuses in the trunk and in the engine compartment, but they were all fine, and since the power eject for the cd caddy worked, I dont think its a problem with the changer itself getting power. Is there a seperate (inline) fuse for the remote mounted in the cabin? Or is there a connection along the way that may have come unplugged? before I start ripping my car all apart, I was hoping someone may have some experience with this allready.

Thanks in Advance

My 97 didn't have separate controls above the steering column, but they were integrated in the bose stereo. I wonder if lack of integration is a sign that its not factory- but that doesnt solve your problem. My 12 disc changer always took about 5 min or more to cycle through all the discs on a newly loaded cassette before it would read any of them. Such a long time that I actually thought it was broken the first couple times I used it.

My "remote" has a led display (showing disc and track info) and a power button which, when pressed lights the display and confirms that the unit is powered on, even though the cd's may not start playing yet. Now when the power button is pressed, nothing lights up at all. Thats why I initally suspected a fuse, but like I said, the changer itself still seems to have power because it ejects the carriage. I guess my next step is to check the connections behind the radio itself, which brings me to my next dilemma: I removed the leather trim bezel from around the radio and removed the ashtray, but i cant seem to find what is securing the radio. There are some tabs sticking out the side, but they dont seem to do anything. I dont see any accesabe bolts or nuts to remove. Anyone have a clue? Ill try to post pics later if it helps.

My "remote" has a led display (showing disc and track info) and a power button which, when pressed lights the display and confirms that the unit is powered on, even though the cd's may not start playing yet. Now when the power button is pressed, nothing lights up at all. Thats why I initally suspected a fuse, but like I said, the changer itself still seems to have power because it ejects the carriage. I guess my next step is to check the connections behind the radio itself, which brings me to my next dilemma: I removed the leather trim bezel from around the radio and removed the ashtray, but i cant seem to find what is securing the radio. There are some tabs sticking out the side, but they dont seem to do anything. I dont see any accesabe bolts or nuts to remove. Anyone have a clue? Ill try to post pics later if it helps.

The radio should be secured by one or two bolts through the bottom of the radio

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I believe that if your disc changer is OEM it would be a "Delco" brand. That's what mine is (1997 STS) and it has no remote mounted remote... it works with buttons on the steering wheel and with those built into the radio. It may have been dealer installed. Just a note... I believe the trunk disc changer was an $1800 option!

Archived