CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil longevity

99 eldo

hi caddy friends, my question is my 99 eldo has been in storage since early dec 2004 and i had change the oil in march of 2004. its been 1 year since i changed the oil with only about 2 thousand miles on the oil change. oil life read as of yesterday 68%. Im going tochange it as soon as possible, as you can see my baby isnot driven much. i miss driving my car but the winters kill your finish. i cant wait to drive, it only has 41000miles on it.my question is am i ok with this until i change theoilmy self which i usually do thanks guys and enjoy your caddies

Yeah you can drive it... you might want to consider a synthetic oil in the future during long storage periods, they tend not to break down for a long time and you can drive them for more than 3000 miles

Generally, you can trust your oil life gauge during normal driving periods, and you can go more than 3000 miles normally on regular oil. Though it would be wise to check the oil level with the dip stick.

You do not need to change the oil until the indicator tells you to do that. Nothing happened to your oil while in garage.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

99 eldo,

Generally I go by the oil life monitor, but this is a different situation. The biggest problem in storing a car with more than just a few miles on the oil is that the acids that form because of combustion sit in the bearings and "etch" them. If the battery was unhooked, could the oil life monitor take into account calender time? ( A question for Guru.)

I would say that oil with 2000 miles and a year old, should be changed.

Ideally, if a car is going to be put into storage, then the oil should be changed just before the storage begins. The engine should be brought up to operating temperature (at least) or taken on a highway drive (more fun) just before putting into storage. NO SHORT TRIPPING!! This will insure that the bearing surfaces are coated with fresh acid free oil.

Putting an engine of any kind into storage without changing the oil first is inviting damage to bearings from acid etching and general corrosion from other contaminates in used oil.

While on the subject, oil should ALWAYS be drained hot! This way the oil has the contaminates in suspension and they drain out with the oil.

I change oil at home. I like to put the car in the garage in the evening and let the oil drain overnight. Then in the morning I can replace the plug and filter, add my favorite oil (Pennzoil) & hit the road.

I know that some of you don't have access to a garage and have to rely on dealers or oil change emporiums. One of the things that you need to do is watch them while they perform this service. I had a 94 Chevy pickup that I used for work. I took it into for a "15" minute oil change. I happened to take a seat where I could see under my truck. The gentleman doing the work took out the drain plug, removed the filter, replaced the filter and then put the plug back in. The only problem with this is that there was still a full stream of oil comming out of the pan! :angry:

I got the manager and told him what I has seen. He reluctaltly told his employee to remove the plug again. Over a quart and a half drained out! :blink: I had him catch it! (The owner offered me a free change after witnessing that.)

I don't know how many oil changes that they do in a month, but if they cheat everybody out of a quart of oil (at least) at each change, that would add to their bottom line :ph34r:

Anyway, I try to err on the side of caution on the subject of changing oil.

99 Eldo, I doubt that you have caused any catistrophic damage to your engine, but if it is stored this way year after year, the damage will become significant. I have torn down engines that have been stored with extremely dirty oil and the bearing shells were "etched" to where you could catch a fingernail in the etch marks.

Take Care

Britt

Britt

Once oil has combustion byproducts or blowby in it the acidity starts to form and the oil ages and changes even in storage.

Bill,

Are you saying drain and refill without starting it til spring? If so, what about the oil trapped in the bearings? I remember you saying in the past to take it out and get it up to normal operating temps before storing it and don't start it again til it comes out of storage. Doesn't that start the acidity process you speak of above or is it just too few miles to make any difference?

Changing your oil more frequently than needed has never been an issue regarding longevity of a engine. NEVER! Changing the oil less frequently is still a subject for debate. Which side of caution you you stand behind?

Changing the oil at 3/3000 is a must for a reason nobody mentions here. I have taught many folks about basic service, including oil changes. To teach an idiot to change the oil effectively, teaches them more than just that. These same folks start to WANT to take care of their cars better than they used to. They start to ask questions, they buy books, they log on to this site. They buy winter blades, they rotate their own tires, they simply take better care of their cars. Find a dummy who you can teach to change the oil at 3/3000 and you found someone who will start to take better care of their car! They start to ask about changing belts BEFORE they break. They start to understand about oil consumption in a NS. They believe you when you tell them that bars leak powder is a must. You simply give the average consumer the confidence to service the Caddy the way it needs to by basing it on something they have heard for decades. Change the oil at 3/3000. It is much easier to get the average consumer to buy into the "unique" requirements of the Caddy by basing it on things they have heard for generations! Try your hardest to convince a 55 year old lady to do the WOT! But if you base it on the basics that they "know" and it will be much easier for them to swallow the unique requirements of the best engine since the small block chevy. Been there, done that, many a time!

Change the oil at 3/3000. It is much easier to get the average consumer to buy into the "unique" requirements of the Caddy by basing it on things they have heard for generations!

It takes a while to change perception. I believe GM is going a long way toward this with making extended change intervals as "automatic" as possible, via the oil life indicator. 3000 oil changes are only a "must" for Jiffy Lube. 3/3000 changes have no business with modern oils anymore. The Caddy has "unique" oil requirements? Do tell! If they were so unique, why does Cadillac recommend you use conventional grade oils and follow the oil life monitor? The only "unique" thing about our cars is they've been equipped with environmentally-conscious oil life monitors for over a decade now. Can you imagine the results if everyone in the world actually used the full life of POL (Petroleum, Oils, Lubricants)? We remove POL from machinery at least twice as early as we should be! Imagine what could happen if everyone finally accepted the fact that 3/3000 changes aren't necessary anymore? How much further into the future could we extend a finite supply of POL?

If you want to err on the side of caution, that's certainly your perogative. But don't stretch the truth with statements like "3/3000 oil changes are a must".

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

One thing that has amazed me over the course of owning my car is how accurate the oil life monitor is. I have noticed that some folks here get upwards of 5K miles in between oil changes and others are closer to the traditonal 3K mark.

I have to admit, that when I got my car I was very skeptical about the oil life monitor, but I have come to love it because it really works. Now geographic region plays a large part in this equation. I live IN Washington, DC with all the traffic that anyone can stand (those here from the Northeast share my pain) and I rarely get the opportunity to put highway miles on my car - hence my oil life monitor keeps me right around 3K miles for my oil changes. However, there have been longer trips that I have taken where I have noticed that I can stretch way beyond the normal 3K. Just depends on how much on my driving habits and the killer stop and go traffic here.

Bottom line, I vote stick with the OLM as it knows best! Really a useful tool.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

>Find a dummy who you can teach to change the oil at 3/3000 and you found someone who will start to take better care of their car!<

Would these "dummys" believe when you tell them about the high profit margins involved for most of the people who benefit from them changing their oil and filters two to three times more than is necessary for the life of the car? ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Obviously, there are no mechanics around here! Most people don't change the oil every 3k. I used to yank sticks--you know, just to see--and most of the dipsticks would have made dirty oil lovers proud.

Yeah, everyone says that they change the oil @3k, but the percentage of people who change the oil every 3k is only a handfull of the population. You don't have to be a mechanic yanking sticks; rather, all it takes is common sense to know that most people follow your pm plan; otherwise, wizzy lube wound't have to advertise.

Take it from a professional: Most people change the oil anywhere from 12k to 30k, in time with the dirty oil plan, and people have been following that pm for decades, so the education that's needed is that most people already drive along with filty oil.

I change the oil @ 3k because it's common sense that clean oil provides the most optimum operating condition for the engine. I guess that if you let someone else eat the depreciation, you don't have as much vested interest in the vehicle as if the $50k came out of your pocket. Why is it so hard to understand that I paid a boatload of money for the car, and I want as much insurance as possible to make the 50K purchase last as long as possible? Save a few bucks on oil? Is this supposed to be a joke? After all, I could have bought something different and saved megathousands, not a few dollars on a few gallons of oil. As an enviromental enhancing step? That's insulting the common sense of anyone of whom is aware of enviromental issues. Wanna play enviromental games? The earth's trees are responsible for over 70% of the released VOC's into the atmosphere. In other words, if we cut down all the trees on this planet, it would improve air quality.

Here's a valiad comparison: Many places in Europe, people bathe one a week to once a month. Often, it's less than that. In addition, bathing more than once a month is unessarry. If you wan't to bathe once a month, that's fine. Why on earth would you insist that it's wrong to bathe daily? And why would you want to make people change to bathing one a month, rather than daily? I know! If we bathed once a month, it would reduce not only water pollution but it would also ease the overall strain on our enviroment, not to mention the increase in easing the finincial burden of water bills, allowing more spendable income.

We have been through this issue so many times. Changing oil every 3,000 miles is not necessary anymore for so many reasons. 1) and most important, NO MORE CARBURATORS, fuel injection meters fuel so much better that none ends up in the crankcase, 2) the engines run hotter and burn impurities out of the oil, 3) the oils are better, 4) no RICH high idle warm ups (due to CHOKE), 5) close regulation of air-fuel ratios via computers and sensors, 6) cleaner running engines

I use the oil life monitor and have gained confidence in it as a result of bbobynski's explanation of how it monitors, many things to make its decision (drive time, speed, temperature, peak temp, distances, RPM). The maintenance manuals in the PAST always said DEPENDING on HOW YOU DRIVE, you could go from 3,000 to 7,000 miles between oil changes, now the oil life monitor determines HOW YOU DRIVE more accurately. I never get down to zero, and begin thinking about changing my oil around 40%...

One thing that has amazed me over the course of owning my car is how accurate the oil life monitor is. I have noticed that some folks here get upwards of 5K miles in between oil changes and others are closer to the traditonal 3K mark.

I wouldn't go by a monitor, it's only an algorithm in a computer based on 3,000 miles of driving, I've owned cars which I took care of and I've owned cars back in college which I abused. You can go for 30K miles without an oil change, and the car will still run as long as you keep the level correct, but don't expect to keep it forever. Back in college we used to keep the used oil after an oil change to fill out cars that burned a quart every couple hundred miles. Bottom line is look at the color, level and it you don't drive it much at least once a year.

We have been through this issue so many times.  Changing oil every 3,000 miles is not necessary anymore for so many reasons....

I use the oil life monitor and have gained confidence in it as a result of bbobynski's explanation of how it monitors, many things to make its decision (drive time, speed, temperature, peak temp, distances, RPM).... 

I never get down to zero, and begin thinking about changing my oil around 40%...

Not picking on you, Mike.

But I read here from 'regular' board users that they trust the OLM down to 40% or 20% or xx% OIL LIFE REMAINING. And I usually walk away asking... why not trust the OLM down to 0%?

Or, not trust the OLM at all, and just change oil at some arbitrary mileage number as recommended by a 10-minute-oil-change operation.

Yes, it can be a pain to reset the CHANGE OIL SOON message on every start.

I routinely run the OLM down to 0%, and several times it has been 300 to 800 miles beyond 0% without concern and no obvious ill effects so far at 142,xxx miles. My average oil change interval is 6,800 miles.

So... if I am wrong to trust the OLM count-down to 0%, at what mileage can I expect my engine to give up the bearings on a dark and stormy night?

[sOAPBOX MODE = OFF]

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

So... if I am wrong to trust the OLM count-down to 0%, at what mileage can I expect my engine to give up the bearings on a dark and stormy night?

That says it all.

Oh I agree Jim and Larry, I should and have started to let it go lower. Its not that I don't trust the OLM. I have begun trusting what bbobynski has said, and he has said to trust the OLM. Plus over the OLM I add new oil which helps the situation. But you are right there is NO reason why I shouldn't trust it down to ZERO, Mike

My wife's new leased Buick Rondezvous made it until 11,700 miles before it said to change the oil (we got it with 4,700 miles and they had just changed the oil). Because it's a lease, and the salesman said "DON"T change the oil until the monitor tells you too"

I listened to him and waited for the computer to tell me to change it before I did. I think if I owned it I couldn't go more than 5,000 miles without changing it!

Trust the oil life monitor. There is a LOT of development and history behind it.
I do trust the monitor, but one thing makes my nervous - as far as I know it was developed by a woman :lol:

Trust the oil life monitor. There is a LOT of development and history behind it.
I do trust the monitor, but one thing makes my nervous - as far as I know it was developed by a woman :lol:

:o

Thank you bbobinsky for elaboration. I knew the story but not to that extent. I wish every male could do during his life time something like Dr. Shirly Schwartz accomplished working just on oil life monitor.

I change the oil @ 3k because it's common sense that clean oil provides the most optimum operating condition for the engine. I guess that if you let someone else eat the depreciation, you don't have as much vested interest in the vehicle as if the $50k came out of your pocket. Why is it so hard to understand that I paid a boatload of money for the car, and I want as much insurance as possible to make the 50K purchase last as long as possible? Save a few bucks on oil? Is this supposed to be a joke? After all, I could have bought something different and saved megathousands, not a few dollars on a few gallons of oil. As an enviromental enhancing step? That's insulting the common sense of anyone of whom is aware of enviromental issues. Wanna play enviromental games? The earth's trees are responsible for over 70% of the released VOC's into the atmosphere. In other words, if we cut down all the trees on this planet, it would improve air quality.

So why don't you change your oil every 500 miles? Or after every trip? Huh? That would certainly be cleaner than leaving it in there for THREE THOUSAND WHOLE MILES! The truth is, the 3/3000 mantra has been drilled into this society from marketing schemes from DECADES ago, when oil was really that bad. When you say you're erring on the side of caution by changing it so early today, you're not taking into account the fact that engine designs and oil chemistry has improved greatly over the past DECADES since the 3/3000 scheme came about. Changing oil today after 6000 miles (for instance) is just as "safe" or "cautious" as changing it after 3000 miles back then.

Every little bit you can do helps. Removing trees from the landscape would reduce VOCs, but it would also reduce the generation of oxygen. There's always a compromise. Wasting oil is very much an environmental issue, whether you choose to believe it or not. In fact, while we're on the subject of not fully utilizing the life of a product, let's go ahead and buy new tires every 10,000 miles, and let's just go ahead and put new brakes on every 15,000 miles. Gotta stay safe! Slap some new headlights in every month...wouldn't want one of those going out on a dark road! Or...let's just go ALL out and buy a brand new vehicle every year, then we'd be sure we're covering all of our bases!

If you want to err on the side of caution and change your oil every 3000 miles, that's your choice. If you want to err on the side of even more caution, go ahead and change it every 1500 miles! But you can't refute the results we are getting following the oil life monitor. If it makes you feel good that YOUR engine is well-protected, then by all means, go ahead. It is, after all, your choice. It makes ME feel good that my engine is just as well-protected as yours is (I have 143,000 trouble-free miles on my engine, how about yours?), but in addition, I've used half or a THIRD of the oil most people use. And all I'm doing is fully using the life of the product.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

If I let my monitor go, I will get around 6-7K inbetween oil changes...but I change it every 3,000 religiously(for the most part). I will add that with 3/3000 oil changes, it is almost to 326,000 miles and still runs like a raped ape.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Archived