CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dexcool or Green

Rickster

This is not intended to start a debate.

I am about to drian my 01 STS and need input not debate.

Dealer suggested the switch to green which I found strange because it would have cost half that of Dexcool.

Thanks

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Dealers are usually unaware of the technical stuff behind the scenes. Did they offer a clue as to why they suggest you switch? My input would be, of course, to stay with the Dexcool. I assume that you have had good service from the Dexcool so far? I sure have. Guru should have fun with this one. :)

Cheers,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Personally I would stay with Dexcool, given that is does not have silicates its easier on your water pump seal. It is more expensive because it lasts longer and provides longer corrosion protection.

You will be back to the dealer SOONER for coolant service and they make more money when they get you back in.

sorry for a dumb question, but what should be in my 1992 eldo (with the 4.9)??? I haven't changed the coolernt yet, but it looks orange to me?

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

sorry for a dumb question, but what should be in my 1992 eldo (with the 4.9)??? I haven't changed the coolernt yet, but it looks orange to me?

-dave 

green

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

-dave 

green

So what does that mean is in my system? Should I change it? (I have had NO cooling problems at all.) If so, what should I be putting in my car? Is Dexcool green or orange?

Sorry, I've always been confused about the whole coolent thing in these cars. :blink:

-dave B)

Dave once green is in your system it 'infects' your cooling system with silicates you will not gain any benefits from changing to dexcool, and if you do, you will need to change it every two years anyway, a more expensive proposition with dexcool. As Guru once said, fresh green coolant has excellent corrosion prevention abilities, I would continue using green in your 4.9, Mike

Don't forget the supplement

I would continue using green in your 4.9, Mike

But mine is ORANGE?!?!

:blink:

So does that mean I need some "fresh green coolent"

Thanks though Mike :)

-dave B)

P.S. what supplement to you reccomend?

But mine is ORANGE?!?!

Are you sure it is orange? When you add bars leaks to green preston it looks kind of rusty.

RUSTY! THAT'S the word I was looking for :lol::lol::lol: Thanks adallak!

-dave B)

Dealer suggested the switch to green which I found strange because it would have cost half that of Dexcool.

Thanks

Rick,

Everything that I have read indicates that the Green and the Orange are not compatible, different techniques for corrosion mitigation, different pHs etc...

If I were you I would keep the same coolant type and switch dealers.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Thanks

Rick,

Everything that I have read indicates that the Green and the Orange are not compatible, different techniques for corrosion mitigation, different pHs etc...

If I were you I would keep the same coolant type and switch dealers.

Tell me if I am wrong but I have seen some NON-Dexcool be orange. Am I wrong or are some NON-Dexcool coolants green and some orange? Are they not compatible with each other?

Thanks for all the input and laugh's. I will stick with the dexcool.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

You cannot ever eliminate the silicates that are plated inside the cooling system of an engine/cooling system run on the conventional green silicated coolant. It is fine to empty it and run DexCool....just that neither the DexCool nor the Prestong long life universal coolant would provide super long drain intervals.

Guru,

How long does it take (if you know) to plate the cooling system? If one mistakenly put green in a system that had Dex and removed it in a day or two would it be plated already?

when I first got my 92 eldo is was a little low on coolent, I topped it off with the green stuff assuming that the stuff in it was just discolored or something. I have never needed to add coolent since, is this bad to have a mixture of different coolents?

Dave, just a suggestion. Since you don't know the entire history behind your coolant I would just drain it and refill with fresh 50/50 green coolant and distilled water. Let's face it, it's a relatively inexpensive proposition. I drain and refill every 2 years. Like I said it's relatively cheap and does so much. Depending on your climate you may not be working your cooling/heating system very hard to notice the effectiveness left in the coolant. I had my fiance's car done this past Fall and you would not have believed how bad the drained coolant looked and smelled. Up to that point her car put out plenty of heat and seemed to cool fine too but climate conditions at that time weren't severe. I asked her when the last time she had it drained and filled and she responded with "oh I'm suposed to do that?". :lol: Of course many of you can relate to my "oh boy..." response. :blink::lol:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived