CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1983 eldorado no start

83eldo

In agreement with the others, take out the Bosch plugs and get AC Delcos. With your latest set of circumstances, the engine not idling correctly and stalling, it certainly sounds like an ISC problem, at this point. As Scotty said, don't over look the (Bosch) plugs. The ISC could be acting up, but the plugs can also be a major contributing factor.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Just a thought if you can't make any headway -

4100 Eldorados are everywhere in the wrecking yards around here with thrashed engines. You may be able to go to one and pick up the entire throttle body assembly and all of the related stuff for next to nothing.

Hello

On my 85 Seville we were on the interstste and all of a sudden the car was like wanting to die. The car was running very rich but would barely idle and would not hardly pull its own weight. i drove about 1.5 hours like this and had to stop for fuel. I unplugged the one injector to get it running after fueling up and drove it home like that. The problem was a bad coolant sensor that was reading -40 and was trying to tell ECU that it was that cold out!

The other thing i would check if the coolant sensor isn`t defective is the vacumn line to the baro sensor or MAP sensor (both are there can`t remember which one,i think the MAP) under the glove compartment for vacumn leak. Get a shop manual and get into the Climate Control Center to get at all the info that the sensors are getting.

Hope this helps!

Gene

83eldo,

It looks like Gene has a WINNER! This would explain a lot. at -40 degrees, the air density would be quite a bit higher. The computer would be adding fuel to compensate for the added oxygen (that isn't there). It would be a simple fix if that sensor is indeed the culprit. Hopefully, it will run & you have already repaired most of the stuff that goes wrong with that engine already!

Good Luck!

Britt

Britt

I got it running. It's not die'n anymore! I just hooked up a hose here and there (not sure if i put them in the right place i just put them where it looked like they went)I still havent found where one goes...it sucks in air and it needs a home, lol. Ill get the vacuum diagram tomorrow. As far as the spark plugs go it doesnt die anymore and it runs...I havent brought it on the freeway yet but it doesnt have any pick up and go really I dont know if this is just because its a small engine for such a big car. I really think that if i change the plugs to the AC Delco it will run perfect. Next thing I'm onto however after that is the tranny...it's shifting a little funny got to see whats up with that. Thanks every1 for ur help.

** I would also like to add that Midas sucks. Whoever worked on the car is ignorant and should be let go or demoted**

... Next thing I'm onto however after that is the tranny...it's shifting a little funny got to see whats up with that. Thanks every1 for ur help...

83eldo,

Probably best to solve your vaccuum/engine problem before trying

to diagnose the funny shifting on the transmission.

I think the transmission has vaccuum controls which may be affected

by that vaccuum hose that needs a home...

Just a thought...

** I would also like to add that Midas sucks. Whoever worked on the car is ignorant and should be let go or demoted**

I believe tha I indicated something to that effect without actuallly naming names. But letting most shops that primarily work on brakes and exhaust systems do Caddy engine work is akin to letting your barber do your open heart surgery. <_<

People who leave vacuum hoses off / take them off without marking them or making a diagram should be reassigned to being a sanitary worker in a pig farm. :P

Some of those guys claim to being a "mechanic" is a successful spark plug change on a Briggs&Stratton lawn mower. They have no business under the hood of a Caddy. :ph34r:

I hope that your get your Eldo cured. After all the "fixes" get fixxed, you should have a good car.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Yea I need to get that last hose hooked up. It runs like a champ around the city acclerates no problem. When I shift it though it shifts rough. Im going to take a look at the vacuum modulator because I heard that will make the tranny shift smurfed up and It will also cause black stuff to come out ur exhaust which mine is still doing even though it is more or less running perfect. I brought it on the freeway the other day got goen 55 pedal to the floor then it stopped going up and the tranny started shifting up and down in gears (slipping) and I started dropping back to 45 so I had to get off. Now if I drive it around the city goen up a hill I've gotten it up to 40 no prob. and it could go faster. So i deffently think the vacuum modulator needs a lookn at after I figure out where the last hose goes.

It primlary slips and has a tough time getting up to higher speeds going up hills. The part of the freeway I was on was a hill so thats why it started acting up.

Archived