CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Caddyinfo.com forum -vs- Clublexus.com

JLAWS

What's up guys ? It's been about 5 months since I let go of my 98 STS. I do miss it. I did so much to keep it immaculate. Very little maintenance in the 3 1/2 yrs of ownership but psychotically kept it clean on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure I put about 50 coats of wax on it :lol: The cool thing is that I get to see my "baby" once in a while, since the new owner is within the neighborhood. I alway hound him to keep it clean when I see him!!! I will always respect Cadillac...

My new "baby" is a Onyx Black LS430. I've had no problems what so ever so far. I did my 1st oil change. I can't believe it only needs 4 1/2 qts for a V8!!! For mods so far I've done the 2005 polished stock 5 spoke 18" wheels (stunning), dual chrome exhaust tips, window tint, Euro air horns with stock horns and front and rear crossdrilled/slotted rotors. I plan to add a Tv tuner so I can watch TV on the stock Navigation screen!! and DVD player.

First thing off the bat I have a sense the Lexus members are younger and waaaay more into their cars. So much so that I can't seem to grasp the amount of money that some spend on mods. First off a Lexus is already expensive, There are several owners who upgrade their brake system and drop $4K+ !!! into Brembo brakes. Then another $4K on "luxury" rims. Then suspension mods, body kits, turbos or superchargers and Audio and Video. There are just way more vender available for aftermarket parts and new stuff for old and current Lexus models just continue to be developed on a daily regular.

The members seem more computer saavy. Alot of guys know how to use photo shop and create alot of "what if" photos for mods. Several guys have extensive photos of their vehicles. There is probably well over 10,000 photos in the gallery section so you definatle will know what a mod will look like. There are several forum discussions similar to Caddys of course like race stories or just the basic "how to's." What cracks me up is that Lexus guys seem to bad mouth and attack Mercedes alot!! Calling their cars unreliable and overrated!! They don't seem to think anyone else is real competition!! Members including myself is proud of the fact that Lexus has one of the highest resale values and always tops in reliability.

I will always have love and repect and root for Cadillac. These days I am just not getting used to the whole "Art and Science" theme ..yet. I think the classiness has gone away from the newer model Caddys. They don't even look like luxury vehicles to me anymore, mainly the exterior. Gees even the Chrysler 300c look more luxurious/classier. Those seem to be Caddys replacement in my neighborhood.

Caddys are great cars with alot of tradition, but if anyone jumps ship, consider a Lexus. These guys know how to make cars. All of my several friends who have Caddys are blown away by the Lexus style, luxuries, fit/ finish and performance.

Talk to ya later..

post-3-1111035028_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't comment on the quality of your Toyota. But as Amercans continue to buy imports, the world continues to laugh at America, and our products, regardless of the quality of them. America is not a well liked country in the world, although this is the best place to live. But yet Americans continue to support the strong trade defecit buy purchasing cars from countries who refuse to buy American because it is against their nationalistic beliefs. You might understand my point in ten years, when Toyota owns a controlling interest in Ford. I do not intend to knock you here, you have the right to buy whatever you choose, and in the US you can do that. But if you were a citizen of Japan, and bought a Caddy, you would not have the same level of "comfort" in owning an import, as you do here. Forget where things are made per se, buying a Lexus supports foreign interests moreso than if you purchase a Ford or a GM. I honestly respect the fact that you still claim to like Caddy's. You may not like the "art & science" theme, but at least the new Caddy's have their own look to them. Your Toyota looks too much like a Mercedes for my tastes. Cadillac is back! You might not see that now, but in a few years, look out! "We" will win you back!

JLaws,

Thanks for the nice letter. Really. Your informative style and keen observations within your Lexus group are much appreciated.

In particular, you mentioned turbos, superchargers and other high-dollar performance modifications. Do you get the impression that these kind of engine mods were supported by Lexus (as in co-development or divulging computer code etc)? Or, as you may have implied, are certain Lexus buyers simply more capable them selves or inclined to support non-factory investments and development of such aftermarket items?

What would be Caddy's closest competitor to your LS-430?

I believe competition is essential for continued improvement. Caddy would not be where it is (and will be at some point) without the Likes of Lexus, Mercedes and so on. There is no truer product test than out there in the marketplace. Ya win some and ya lose some.

Regardless of one's allegiance to a given brand - its exciting to have Caddy in racing, etc and targeting other markets besides the USA.

Thanks again for your note and "meet you in the market place" :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

GM stock took a big hit today and the CEO said it was because of slow sales in their North American car sales. Cadillac sales were down 3.5% from last year with some GM brands down by double digits. GM market share has dropped to 25% in the North American market, the lowest ever.

I'm not sure what the demographics are for first time Cadillac buyers today, but prior to the Letter series cars I think the first time buyer was about 45- 47 years old.

I have two kids(?)age 31 and 35, who between them have had over a dozen cars and only one has been an american car. My daughter now has a Nissan 350Z and my son has two Hondas, a van and a CRV.

I believe that it will be very tough for Cadillac to change it's image as an "Old peoples car." Planned obsolescence hasn't helped much either.

Also, two people were arrested in CA. today, trying to block semi truckloads of new GM electric cars that were being taken to the crusher to be destroyed. GM said sales of the cars was so poor that it didn't justify making supplies of the 2000 spare parts the cars would need.

GM marketing has done a poor job of attracting buyer's attention as well. The Impla and the sister Toyota are made on the same assembly line and yet the Toyota outsells the impala almost two-to-one.

I'll still be driving Cadillac for a few more years. :)

We're just a bunch of ole FOTS :lol: .....

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

The Japs are very masterful at copying success and making it thiers. The new 430 looks like a perfect old Benz knockoff, not bad but not original, which is the way the Japanese do it. They ran the Americans out of the sewing machine business by copying Singer. Parts from a Japanese Consew can be directly replaced with Singer parts. Yet we continue to allow them to steal our manufacturing base with copyright violations and downright deception. Ever notice the largest American flags fly over Japanese car dealerships? People that buy these products don't even realize they are killing America, a little at a time! They have been fooled by the myth of the world economy, free trade, blah, blah, BS. When we lose our manufactures and the jobs that go with them, we'll all be driving KIA's if anything at all, we won't be able to afford anything else and there won't be any American cars to buy!

Am I calling people who drive imports un-American? Well sort of, or maybe they're just igorant! :blink:

Younger lexus owners? Ok we need a new poll. How old is the caddyinfo crowd. :-)

I think we did this already, NO?

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

"The members seem more computer saavy".

I just love generalizations, I really do. You know, I think its what floats your boat, if 'playing' with Photoshop is 'exciting' to you, and you consider THAT is computer saavy, that tells me a lot about DEPTH. Plus you really don't know much about the people on this board and their experience.

I have built 500 high performance computers, teach a computer course at New York University and major New York commercial banks. My current computer has five hard drives, two of which are Ultra 160 SCSI drives (HUH?), a dual head ge force FX 6800 video card with two monitors, 1 gig of PC 1066 RDRAM (rare), Audigy 2 Platinum with 6.1 sound that plays music OPTICALLY though my house as every room is wired for sound, every room is networked, i have two network printers one of which is wireless (just for fun), I have an addressable wireless LAN camera and keep an eye on my house when I am away, I access my LAN from Starbucks wirelessly, I produce 140 page narrative reports on Word and am an expert at Excel and use Access, Powerpoint, Mappoint, Mapdraw, Argus and usually use them all at the same time.

I happen to know that Kger2 and dkedrowitsch are also computer nuts and many more members have awesome technical jobs. We did a survey on this, and I was awed by the intelligence on this board and continue to be awed by the intelligence on this board day after day! That we don't smaltz up our cars with Photoshop like my 19 and 25 yo sons do does not indicate a lack of savvy, it indicates maturity and that we have more important things to do with our time... generalizations, I love them!

I did ask you to come and give your impressions after you had the car for awhile, thanks for your impressions, Mike

Ever notice the largest American flags fly over Japanese car dealerships? People that buy these products don't even realize they are killing America, a little at a time! They have been fooled by the myth of the world economy, free trade, blah, blah, BS. When we lose our manufactures and the jobs that go with them, we'll all be driving KIA's if anything at all, we won't be able to afford anything else and there won't be any American cars to buy!

Am I calling people who drive imports un-American? Well sort of, or maybe they're just igorant! :blink:

Well in West Virginia we have picked up new manufacturing jobs. Toyota has an engine and a tranmission plant here. NKG has a plant here and KS of WV makes electrical parts for all autos. All these are Japanese owned. We even have an office in Japan to attract Japanese business thanks to Jay Rockefeller. All employ thousands of workers and add a great deal to the WV economy. Which is good because WV largest employer is Walmart, sad but true. So, just remember if you are driving a late model Toyota you are probably supporting Americans.

Oh there you go, now you are making it obvious that your are from Boston, and probably a RAG SAWX fan with that classy rhetoric! Go Yankees! :angry::angry::angry::lol:

Not really a baseball guy but I always respect the Yankees. Hell they seem to win all the time. But if you look up "choke artist" in the dictionary the yankees will be used as an example :lol: Come on everyone picks them to win every year.

My #1 sport is football. How about them Patriots!!! That is a team with true heart and professionalism.

I just love generalizations, I really do. You know, I think its what floats your boat, if 'playing' with Photoshop is 'exciting' to you, and you consider THAT is computer saavy, that tells me a lot about DEPTH. Plus you really don't know much about the people on this board and their experience.

I have built 500 high performance computers, teach a computer course at New York University and major New York commercial banks. My current computer has five hard drives, two of which are Ultra 160 SCSI drives (HUH?), a dual head ge force FX 6800 video card with two monitors, 1 gig of PC 1066 RDRAM (rare), Audigy 2 Platinum with 6.1 sound that plays music OPTICALLY though my house as every room is wired for sound, every room is networked, i have two network printers one of which is wireless (just for fun), I have an addressable wireless LAN camera and keep an eye on my house when I am away, I access my LAN from Starbucks wirelessly, I produce 140 page narrative reports on Word and am an expert at Excel and use Access, Powerpoint, Mappoint, Mapdraw, Argus and usually use them all at the same time.

I happen to know that Kger2 and dkedrowitsch are also computer nuts and many more members have awesome technical jobs. We did a survey on this, and I was awed by the intelligence on this board and continue to be awed by the intelligence on this board day after day! That we don't smaltz up our cars with Photoshop like my 19 and 25 yo sons do does not indicate a lack of savvy, it indicates maturity and that we have more important things to do with our time... generalizations, I love them!

I did ask you to come and give your impressions after you had the car for awhile, thanks for your impressions, Mike

Snoring.... -_-

I work full time (52 plus hours a week) managing a local computer repair store where I juggle my time between running the store and repair/upgrading/refurbishing/building computers. I also am part of a live computer call in show in our area where people can call in with computer-related questions. I just moved into a new house, so as of now I haven't had time to run CAT5 everywhere yet, but hey, at least the wireless is up and running. I love to be able to sit on my couch with my AMD 64bit 3000+ laptop (with widescreen of course) with no wires holding me down what so ever and hit the "print" button in Word and have the document shoot out of my printer downstairs.

There are alot of members on this board with computer knowledge that goes way above and beyond Photoshop.

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Oh there you go, now you are making it obvious that your are from Boston, and probably a RAG SAWX fan with that classy rhetoric!   Go Yankees!   :angry:  :angry:  :angry::lol:

Not really a baseball guy but I always respect the Yankees. Hell they seem to win all the time. But if you look up "choke artist" in the dictionary the yankees will be used as an example :lol: Come on everyone picks them to win every year.

My #1 sport is football. How about them Patriots!!! That is a team with true heart and professionalism.

JLAWS,

Gotta ask. Were you always a Pats fan? I only knew of one Pats fan ever..... until they won the Superbowl. Kind of like Buffalo. Only ever met 2 Buff fans..... until they made the Superbowl. Now I'm a life long Steeler fan. Now that's a team! :lol: In good times and the bad times I bleed black and yellow. And hey you've got to love the fact that Charlie Daniels respects them enough to mention them in his song "In America". I find myself having to acknowledge the Pats simply because a friend of mine got a job with them as a strength trainer. Go Steeler! :lol: Woohoo! (now where did I put my terrible towel)

Good to see you on here again.....I think :lol:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Well in West Virginia we have picked up new manufacturing jobs. Toyota has an engine and a tranmission plant here. NKG has a plant here and KS of WV makes electrical parts for all autos. All these are Japanese owned.

The Japanese barely trust you to tighten a screw and you welcome them with open arms??? Hear that sucking sound? It is estimated that Toyota sucked 8+ billion out of the North American economy last year... Do you consider artificial devaluation of the Yen as an unfair trade practice?!

I just love generalizations, I really do.  You know, I think its what floats your boat, if 'playing' with Photoshop is 'exciting' to you, and you consider THAT is computer saavy, that tells me a lot about DEPTH.  Plus you really don't know much about the people on this board and their experience.

I have built 500 high performance computers, teach a computer course at New York University and major New York commercial banks.  My current computer has five hard drives, two of which are Ultra 160 SCSI drives (HUH?), a dual head ge force FX 6800 video card with two monitors, 1 gig of PC 1066 RDRAM (rare), Audigy 2 Platinum with 6.1 sound that plays music OPTICALLY though my house as every room is wired for sound, every room is networked, i have two network printers one of which is wireless (just for fun), I have an addressable wireless LAN camera and keep an eye on my house when I am away, I access my LAN from Starbucks wirelessly, I produce 140 page narrative reports on Word and am an expert at Excel and use Access, Powerpoint, Mappoint, Mapdraw, Argus and usually use them all at the same time. 

I happen to know that Kger2 and dkedrowitsch are also computer nuts and many more members have awesome technical jobs. We did a survey on this, and I was awed by the intelligence on this board and continue to be awed by the intelligence on this board day after day! That we don't smaltz up our cars with Photoshop like my 19 and 25 yo sons do does not indicate a lack of savvy, it indicates maturity and that we have more important things to do with our time...  generalizations, I love them! 

Snoring.... -_-

:lol::lol:

Gotta ask. Were you always a Pats fan? I only knew of one Pats fan ever..... until they won the Superbowl. Kind of like Buffalo. Only ever met 2 Buff fans..... until they made the Superbowl. Now I'm a life long Steeler fan. Now that's a team! :lol: In good times and the bad times I bleed black and yellow. And hey you've got to love the fact that Charlie Daniels respects them enough to mention them in his song "In America". I find myself having to acknowledge the Pats simply because a friend of mine got a job with them as a strength trainer. Go Steeler! :lol: Woohoo! (now where did I put my terrible towel)

Good to see you on here again.....I think :lol:

"Good to see you on here again.....I think :lol:"

I never left. ;) In a couple of years I'll be looking to trade my Lexus. The top replacement vehicle on my list will be an 2005-2006 STS V. Gotta wait for that book value to plummet like American cars usually do or an 2003/2004 Mercedes E55 AMG.

As far as being a loyal Pats fan, I have always remained a fan thru thick and thin. I don't think I'm a psychotic fan like some people I see. I wasn't flipping over cars and setting them on fire when they won the Superbowl :lol: Of course anyone is going to pay attention to their team much more when they are a contender to win it all.

I think your towel is still in the laundry hamper since you were probably sobbing into it when we racked up 40+ points on you in the playoffs :P

We will see how your rookie QB does next season.

Gees let me stop..I'm a jerk aren't I

Gees let me stop..I'm a jerk aren't I

No your not a jerk, you are from Boston! You can't help it! :lol:

Changing the subject, I found this site to be interesting

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/

Try checking out complaint about STS and Lexus and compare both cars. I am not saying that Lexus is not a good car but this site confused me. I checked out th LS 430 -2001 and ES 300-2002.

Changing the subject, I found this site to be interesting

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/

Try checking out complaint about STS and Lexus and compare both cars. I am not saying that Lexus is not a good car but this site confused me. I checked out th LS 430 -2001 and ES 300-2002.

You can (and will) have issues with any car you own. But people take the media (and especially Consumer Reports) as gospel, and unfortunately for American cars, the media is very pro-Japanese right now.

I'm a very patriotic person, but I don't necessarily agree with buying a domestic car simply because it's domestic. That's basically public subsidation (sp?), and doesn't do anything to help improve the quality or performance of the cars we love. I'm a deep believer that a free enterprise system helps to create the best product possible, Japanese or American. Like it or not, if Lincoln was Cadillac's only competitor, Cadillac wouldn't have the fantastic cars out there that it has today.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Im ok since when could the Japanese define the word luxury. And about age im 17 and own a 97 sts. :)

I think the LS430 defines "Luxury" pretty darn well. The engine is so darn quiet and smooth, you can't even feel it shift gears (you do when you switch to Sport mode for racing ;) ) There is a package called "Ultra Luxury" which has rear auto sunshades, reclining and massaging REAR seats which heat and cool, The center console had a small fridge !!! and center control which controls climate and music volume. All at the same target price range of a New awd fully loaded STS.

not my car below but same set up...

Bad *smurf* in all black !!!

post-3-1111085276_thumb.jpg

That sure is a shiny 1979 turbo diesel mercedes you have there! But seriously, I see your point. Toyota builds a very nice vehicle, so naturally it's high end Lexus is going to be extra nice. I think the fact that they over-engineer everything helps in the overall quality of the product. As an example, I know that I had a Toyota Hilux pickup (1987) with a four banger in stock form. I added a 300 HP chevy v8 and ran the stock axles and transfer case with no problems ever. Try that with an s10! The rear brakes on the Toy were bigger than my 97 extended cab full size chevt z71 had!

Archived