CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Drivers Window

zchiefn3

The drivers window on my 97 STS rolled most of the way up, then stopped. It will go down but not up. It is now about 2/3s up. Is this fixable by someone with limited knowledge, or do I need to have a repair person repair it?

If its anything like my '94 DCS, the hardest part is unsecuring, lifiting up and juggling the door panel while un-hooking the various elec harness clasps (kinda like like reaching around her back when things were happin', only the door is not quite as important an objective)... :P

You should be able to remove the window motor with a few small bolts. The proper repair would be to install a new one, but I simply swapped it with the back window. A swap is also an easy way to test the overall operation.

Worked for me! :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

My door panel was secured by the two lag screws hidden behind the end caps on each side of the pull strap.

After these two substantial screws were removed, then the door panel can be wiggled up such that the plastic brackets on the inside of the door panel will lift up out of their respective sockets on the door itself (just don't force it...)

Then there is the small plastic gap-cover around the door handle to be removed and the switch cover on the side might work loose in a bit. Just take your time and it will reveal itself (again don't break off the plastic stuff).

Hopefully, someone else with a '97 STS will correct or confirm the procedure. :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

That door slamming technique has worked for me 3-4 times over the past 3 years. I always let out a Homer Simpson "Woohoo!!!" and start laughing. Come on now, how funny is that fix? I laugh just telling people about it.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

When the door slamming trick works your motor is on the way out. Sooner or later the motor swap TDK suggests is the cure. There are a couple threads about a year ago with exact instructions. Worked great for me.

Wish someone would post a frame by frame photo gallery on How To Remove the Door Panel. Would be a terrific reference tool. I know eventually I'll have to swap/replace the window motor. Hopefully by the time I need to do that someone will have that How To photo gallery available :) . But for now I'll just suffer with the door slamming once in a blue moon.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I had this happen to my 97 STS also. Turned out to be the switch assembly in the door. Dealership popped the old one out and a new one in and I was out of there in about 15 minutes (and about $75 lighter if I remember correctly). It was kind of a b*tch driving in freezing rain with the window down, but the dealership is only about five miles away and it was not raining that hard.

All the other windows worked and I could find no blown fuse, so I figured it was the switch assembly. I popped the switch assembly to see what I could see. Nothing looked bad. Tried reconnecting the front windows connector to the rear window switch just to get the window back up but that did not work. Tried jumpering the connections to mimic the switch in the "window up" position, but that did not work either. Gave up and drove to the dealership. Thought about just buying the new switch assembly, but what if I had been wrong? I would have been out the price of the switch assembly and still have to pay to get the problem diagnosed.

Never tried the door slamming trick.

This was about a year ago and no problems since.

Wish someone would post a frame by frame photo gallery on How To Remove the Door Panel. Would be a terrific reference tool. I know eventually I'll have to swap/replace the window motor. Hopefully by the time I need to do that someone will have that How To photo gallery available  . But for now I'll just suffer with the door slamming once in a blue moon.

Here are some pictures. The most difficult part is removing the plastic fasteners (number 2, eight of them) without breaking them. There is a special tool for the procedure. Does anybody know how it looks like? Are the plastic fasteners (number 4) available at stores?

post-3-1111011998_thumb.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived