CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 SLS Radio/CD player

navion

My wife would like a CD player in the SLS. It presently has The Delco AM/FM/cassette.

I went to the local Slightly Used Parts Emporium & only found The Bose units with CD players.

The counter guy told me (after I walked abou three miles on a bad knee) that only the Bose units had CD players. Is this true?

I would like to keep a stock radio in the car. Has anyone tried to replace a regular Delco unit with a Bose unit? If so what is invloved? If the Bose unit requires seperate amplifiers for the speakers, would the wiring already be in place. If not then the project would blow my CD player budget. :(

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Personally I like to hear the Northstar's song :P , & don't listen to the radio much while driving.

Thanks,

Britt

Britt

The only way to get a CD in a 1994 SLS from the factory was the BOSE option. The BOSE set-up uses a head unit, receiver, and amplified speakers (amps right on the speakers). I think it is a huge hassle to try to duplicate this set-up, and frankly that old BOSE head unit is not reliable - even after having it fixed again (and again). If it were me - as much as I like and prefer stock - I'd get an aftermarket CD player and put that in. It will go right in (with a kit) and you can find deals from the big electronics places for $200.

good luck,

~Doc

navion,

Here's a link to United Radio in Syracuse, NY. They'll be able to tell you if it's just a matter of swapping head units or if it's more involved. Nice operation and nice people. The number at the bottom of the web page is for the sales department but they'll transfer you to a tech if need be.

United Radio

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Delco made the units....paid Bose to add the 'BOSE' label. Thats the way it is.

Surely Bose was involved with the design, even if GM manufactures it?

I've seen a lot of posts relative to "fixing" this system, it doesn't appear to be very reliable. I've seen one or two posts about how good it sounds, but I am very picky when it comes to sound reproduction and don't necessarily put much stock in those type comments without knowing the person.

I have been thinking about buying a late model ETC if I could find a "pristine" one, and thought I might consider one with the Bose system, but now I'm not sure I should worry about that and just rip out whatever it has and replace with an aftermarket system.

However, I dis-liked the standard stereo in my '93 STS because the pre-amp/amplifier combination was in the trunk, which caused the wiring to be completely redone and/or limiting installation choices, if replacing with a true head unit.

Any thoughts?

My 1992 eldorado originally had the bose sysetm (according to the window sticker), but lucky for me by the time I purchased the car someone had already taken it out and converted it so that a normal aftermarket headunit would work (no seperate amps). Whoever did the conversion did a GREAT job and used a thick wire that had enough wires in it for the rear and side speakers, looks real professional, and made it easy to add my CD/MP3/AM/FM/Sirus headunit when I bought the car.

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Eldorado Bob,

That is good to know. I was told that it wouldn't work by some junkyard counter guy, but you have actually done it! Vunderbar! I believe that I will try that, IF I can find a serviceable Bose head unit! ;)

Before I read Bob's post, I was researching trunk mounted CD players. Any one have any comments?

The units being concidered are:

JVC CH-X1500 RF 12 disc.

Pioneer CDX-FM687 6 disc.

Sony CDX 565MKRF 10 disc.

All are within $6 of each other if I add a spare cartridge for the Pioneer. (That would make the Pioneer the most expensive @ $204.00.

What would you guys (& gals) prefer? A stock Bose dash unit or one of the above?

Thanks,

Britt

Britt

I like the stock Bose unit for 3 reasons. 1) It has a clean understated look that doesn't shout out "hey come smash my window and take me" and it flows with the rest of the interior. 2) Sounds great. 3) Straight forward and easy to use. Complication is kept to a minimum.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Bose did the door amp units. But the head unit with the 'Bose' emblem is a Delco unit. My bet is they are identical.

That being said, the base system in my 2001 Deville puts the '93xx systems to shame. Its the best factory system I have ever heard. No Bose about it!

Currently trying to figure out how to link a iPod into it. Yes, I know about the Paciffic Audio website. I want to have both XM and the iPod work directly....

I went around this Delco vs. Bose issue with my '94 Eldorado and this is what I found: The two systems are entirely different and none of the components in one system are compatible with anything in the other system. (The wiring within the body is close enough that it can be made to work by a car stereo technician without too much difficulty.)

The systems consist of a head unit in the dash, a remote receiver unit that is located in the right rear fender at the base of the antenna, and the speakers. The main difference is that the Bose system has amplifiers in each speaker and the Delco system does not. If you want to change the head unit, you will have to change the remote receiver and all the speakers as well. Bose system parts, even used ones, can be quite pricey.

If you want to keep the stock Delco system and have a CD capability, here is a possibility: The 1994 Cadillac catalog advertised a six-disc CD changer that was available as a dealer-installed option. The unit mounted inside the trunk on the right side near the antenna. There was a mounting bracket and a short cable and plug wired to the remote receiver that was intended to connect to the CD changer. It should be a quick and easy installation if you can find the changer. I have been half-heartedly looking for a changer for a couple of years and haven't found one yet. My guess is that it wasn't a very popular option and there just aren't too many of them around. Give it a try, though, you just might get lucky!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

The systems consist of a head unit in the dash, a remote receiver unit that is located in the right rear fender at the base of the antenna, and the speakers. The main difference is that the Bose system has amplifiers in each speaker and the Delco system does not. If you want to change the head unit, you will have to change the remote receiver and all the speakers as well. Bose system parts, even used ones, can be quite pricey.

Although I haven't torn into it, I think it might be a misnomer to call it a "head unit", in the front. That is, I believe it is nothing more than a very shallow control panel. A "head unit" as it were, is typically a complete receiver, pre-amp and amplifier fully capable of driving speakers (not withstanding cassette deck or CD options). There may be enough room to mount a conventional head unit in the front, but the difficulty will be coming up with a way to tie-in the bracketry and possibly customizing a harness.

I only know this because several years ago Best Buy ran a promotion for free installation if you spent so much money on hardware. I picked out a conventional head unit that played CDs, a new amplifier and new speakers all the way around. When they checked my '93 STS and realized the front was only a control panel with the non-controller head unit in the back, they stated they could not install my components for free because of the reasons stated above. I ended up not changing the front control panel/back reciever, and only adding speakers, power amp, and an RF CD player in the back, which was quite disappointing. RF CD players really have a lot of noise and sound like crap...

The systems consist of a head unit in the dash, a remote receiver unit that is located in the right rear fender at the base of the antenna, and the speakers.  The main difference is that the Bose system has amplifiers in each speaker and the Delco system does not.  If you want to change the head unit, you will have to change the remote receiver and all the speakers as well.  Bose system parts, even used ones, can be quite pricey.

Although I haven't torn into it, I think it might be a misnomer to call it a "head unit", in the front. That is, I believe it is nothing more than a very shallow control panel. A "head unit" as it were, is typically a complete receiver, pre-amp and amplifier fully capable of driving speakers (not withstanding cassette deck or CD options). There may be enough room to mount a conventional head unit in the front, but the difficulty will be coming up with a way to tie-in the bracketry and possibly customizing a harness.

I only know this because several years ago Best Buy ran a promotion for free installation if you spent so much money on hardware. I picked out a conventional head unit that played CDs, a new amplifier and new speakers all the way around. When they checked my '93 STS and realized the front was only a control panel with the non-controller head unit in the back, they stated they could not install my components for free because of the reasons stated above. I ended up not changing the front control panel/back reciever, and only adding speakers, power amp, and an RF CD player in the back, which was quite disappointing. RF CD players really have a lot of noise and sound like crap...

I stated the front unit as nothing more than a control panel, mine actually also has a cassette player, therefore it is probably more accurately defined as a tuner/player/pre-amp,....I'm probably mixing words when I take issue with it being/not being called a head unit,....my real point is, it does not allow "drop-in" of an conventional aftermarket head unit and harness conversion kit.

Archived