CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil Consumption program(update)

JIMDTS

through all the discussions on this board over the years concerning oil consumption and oil level on the dipstick, i have come to the firm conclusion to NEVER put the oil level at the top of the hash mark on the dip stick. whether you check it hot or cold (hot is better imo) don't put the level any higher than halfway up the hash mark area and this will clear up alot of oil consumption issues. jackg 90 seville 93k

Hi justgreat

I agree about the oil level. But I did have a chance to see 3 engines this week which were torn down for rings and they sure were loaded with carbon.The mechanic showed me the pistons and the rings were siezed and the top of the piston and rings were loaded with carbon I didn't know the driving habbits of the car It was interesting to see actually have a first hand look at a few.

Jim

not having a northstar i wouldn't know about the carbon build-up. the n/s is definitely a high-performance engine and needs to be wrung out on a regular basis. i would say that alot of n/s owners don't realize the care and feeding required for the northstar...i'm sure alot of the owners follow the same path as the oil level on the dipstick, but in reverse: with the oil, more is better and with the n/s, don't stomp on it and your oil consumption will be just fine...WRONG!! on a similiar note, i was talking to my service man at the caddy dealer and he said the northstar is a trouble free motor. look at this way: if you stand on it and keep the tach buried, at least you'll have some consolation for your oil consumption and you'll have a much better chance of keeping your rings and valves nice and clean.

one last point: if you want to REALLY clean out your combustion chamber and have fun doing it (at least to me it's more fun and quicker too). drop the tranny into 2nd and take it to redline, back off to 45mph and do that 3-4 times...check out your rearview mirror when you're doing it...if you have crud in your c/c you'll see it coming out the tailpipe for sure....plus, the sound of the motor throtle breaking on the decel is just music to your ears. jackg 90 seville 93k

Archived