CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Cadillac STS

yelo69

Hello,

I have a problem with my wife's cadillac and wanted to see if someone here could help. She was driving home from work the other day and the service engine light come on. It is a 98 Cadillac STS. We have had nothing done to the car recently or anything that maybe would have triggered it.

How can you tell what the code or problem is?

I appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

Andy

Thanks for the info. I printed and I am going to keep it in the car for future reference too. Of course, since I asked about this ...the light went out on its own. Not sure why or what is up with it.

Thanks again. This is a great board.

Andy

On my 93 Eldo, I occasionally would get the check engine light. It clears the next time ignition is cycled and becomes a history code, It's been a while and I don't remember exactly what the was the code. At the moment I believe the check engine light was caused by a the nock sensor due to using an occasional tank of regular gas. At this point I would clear all the codes and wait to see if it would set again.

On my friends 98 SLS, just before his trip to Florida, he got all worried because the check engine light came on. The engine earlier that day ran rough for a few seconds and set the code. I wrote down all his current and history codes, looked them up and reset the codes clearing the check engine soon message. He has driven the car over a thousand miles since and it hasn't happened again. The moral to the story is that there are a lot of different way that the check engine soon light may come on. If it is a serious problem it will set again.

Last weekend drove the STS home about 50 miles going 75-80 mph the whole way. Was getting low on gas and needed to wash of all the salt and road dirt so I was going to see if I could make it to the cheap gas station and the car wash. The low fuel indicator came on and the car kept chiming at me low fuel. That chime is annoying. The last thing you need is your car nagging you as you try to make it to the gas station. The car wash was first and it dinged at me the whole way through. I thought at least I'm going to find out how good this low fuel, range program is. Then filled up the car with 93 at the least expensive gas station. Because the car was so clean and had a full tank I just had to do a few WOTs on the trip home. They also blow off any remaining water from the wash. Had the car going over 90. The next day the SES light comes on. I checked the codes and nothing. Then I did something my wife the engineer would never do, I read the owners manual. It seems if you run your car down to fumes air can get in the lines and that will trigger an SES. Also a high pressure car wash can wet components and trigger the SES. It seems I did both things that the service manual described as triggering a harmless SES warning. The manuals advice was to drive it for a couple of cycles and the light should go out. I did and it did. Phew! I was all worried that the WOTs had done it, and it would be no fun to have to worry all the time when you do WOTs or be chicken about doing them.

Archived