CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oxygenated fuel????

EldoEsq.

I noticed on the gas pumps here in NY that during the winter months, they "oxygenate" the gasoline. Now since winter started, my Eldo has less power and my MPG is down by about 1.5 mpg. You think it might be the gas???

I noticed on the gas pumps here in NY that during the winter months, they "oxygenate" the gasoline. Now since winter started, my Eldo has less power and my MPG is down by about 1.5 mpg. You think it might be the gas???

Without a doubt. It could also be the fact that you might warm the car up longer when it's cold out, etc. But in general, I think oxygenated fuels tend to degrade drivability. I've experienced it myself...until I moved down to temperate North Carolina. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The same thing happens with my car to, except I don't really notice to much of a drop in power. The reason for the decrease in mileage/power is because increasing the oxygen content in the gasoline actually reduces it energy content slightly and therefore leads to a claimed degrees in mileage of about 2-3%. The reason for its use during winter months is to reduce emmissions because a cold engine is less efficent and creates more emmisions.

Archived