CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P1760 after ball joint replacement

maydog

Greetings,

I had a chain shop replace my ball joint on my 97 sts yesterday. On the way home from work today I get a p1760, position sensor input fault. Can these sensors fail if they are overextended? What is the likelihood that they damaged it in the course of the repair?

Thanks for your input.

Unlikely, it is more probable that they disturbed the connector and it needs to be reconnected. When I did mine I popped the sensor rod off the control arm so that I could remove the lower control arm, its also possible that they did not reconnect it or that it popped off. It was necessary for me to remove the lower control arm to drill out the rivets, its much harder to drill the rivets in place IMHO. What made you replace the ball joint, I am curious

Scotty,

You are correct, except that it appears that they broke the plastic cap in the process. They guy likely just slipped it back on and that is why I did not get a code until today. I will pursue getting a replacement cap/bar at their cost, mostly to let them know that I understand what they did.

For now I crazy glued the bar back in, that should hold - but I would like a new part just in case.

position_sensor_broken.jpg

That really sucks maydog, keep the old part dirty, so that you can more easily estimate the length from the old ones position, where the threads were screwed in should be markedly cleaner than where they were exposed. You might want to carefully measure the clean area of the thread for a reference also before it becomes dirty while you drive around. I hope I am making sense.. Mike

PS the plastic cap easily pops off the ball that it sets on, don't disturb the thread length, I used a long thin needle nose and got behind it to pop it.

I dont really think the length setting is very important since I am running with passive struts anyway. I just wanted to get rid of the code.

I replaced the joint because it has a little play in it.

I dont really think the length setting is very important since I am running with passive struts anyway. I just wanted to get rid of the code.

I replaced the joint because it has a little play in it.

Oh OK

Archived