CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

key fob range

kobalt

and could still chirp the horn .

My 92 eldo doesn't chip, nor do the lights flash. The only thing that happens to let me know it's unlocked, is that the interior lights come on.....i think I read somewher that the 92 eldo just doesn't have these features. Is there any way to wire into my exsisting keyless enrty system to make the horn chirp, and the lights flash??

Someone here has to know ;)

THANKS!

-dave B)

Dave:

You would have to know the nature of the logic signal from the RKE and adapt that to a device to power the horn or lights for a fraction of a second. Not that hard to do, but the wiring diagrams are a must-have.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

it seems like thier should be some option to turn these features on....beacuse the lights DO flash, and the horn DOES chip if the alarm is tripped.

Any ideas?

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

and could still chirp the horn .

My 92 eldo doesn't chip, nor do the lights flash. The only thing that happens to let me know it's unlocked, is that the interior lights come on.....i think I read somewher that the 92 eldo just doesn't have these features. Is there any way to wire into my exsisting keyless enrty system to make the horn chirp, and the lights flash??

Someone here has to know ;)

THANKS!

-dave B)

Dave,

This is usually programmable. If so, it will be in your owners manual.

I remember the post where Logan told us about the chin trick. I tried it and it didn't work for me. On another note, I am at work on the 3rd floor and happen to park out side the window, several rows away. I just walk to the window and watched the lights as I pushed the key fob buttons. No luck. As I said it must just be the '97's.

The unkown for now is the construction of the RKE module and the layout of the PCB. I will look into that when the WX warms up, or if someone has a spare RKE module to send to me....

I was planning to look into it myself once it got warmer. There has to be some kind of antenna inside the module so attaching an external one should not be that difficult.

The unkown for now is the construction of the RKE module and the layout of the PCB.  I will look into that when the WX warms up, or if someone has a spare RKE module to send to me....

I was planning to look into it myself once it got warmer. There has to be some kind of antenna inside the module so attaching an external one should not be that difficult.

The antenna in the module could be a stub of foil and possibly a patch of ground plane material on the PCB. I have seen diagrams of boards showing an option of cutting two traces and inserting RF from an external source in place of the PCB antenna.

For my old eyes, it's going to be a slow process with a large magnifying lens. SM technology pieces give me gas pains.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The unkown for now is the construction of the RKE module and the layout of the PCB.  I will look into that when the WX warms up, or if someone has a spare RKE module to send to me....

The antenna in the module could be a stub of foil and possibly a patch of ground plane material on the PCB. I have seen diagrams of boards showing an option of cutting two traces and inserting RF from an external source in place of the PCB antenna.

For my old eyes, it's going to be a slow process with a large magnifying lens. SM technology pieces give me gas pains.

Temperature hit the 70's today (and that bad dude in Fulton county is off the street) so I tore into the trunk and removed the trunk lamp / RKE module. The antenna (a length of 20 ga. hookup wire) was a simple solder job and easily snaked up the bottom inside edge of the rear glass.

I have not had a chance to continue the non-scientific measurements but will do that first chance. Start to finish about 60 to 75 minutes. Have pictures.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Temperature hit the 70's today (and that bad dude in Fulton county is off the street) so I tore into the trunk and removed the trunk lamp / RKE module. The antenna (a length of 20 ga. hookup wire) was a simple solder job and easily snaked up the bottom inside edge of the rear glass.

I have not had a chance to continue the non-scientific measurements but will do that first chance. Start to finish about 60 to 75 minutes. Have pictures.

Thats great! Bring them on!

My test bed is a '98 STS. There might be differences for other models.

In the trunk, remove the carpeting that covers the rear shelf area where the large (center) speaker is located.

Remove the plastic box that contains the trunk lamp and RKE module. The box slides in and out of plastic fasteners.

In the picture, the RKE module is below the trunk lamp bulb.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

This is the RKE module. The area of interest is the bottom right hole in the case cover with a shiny surface of the PCB showing through the hole.

There will be a screw holding the case cover at the bottom center.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Remove the RKE module cover and solder a length of 20 gauge hookup wire to the circular pad at the bottom right.

The length of wire is your choice. If you want to experiment with placement or tuning-by-pruning, I recommend at least 3 feet of wire.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Feed your "antenna" wire through the RKE module cover as shown.

You should find several holes in the shelf at the rear edge of the glass that will permit the antenna to extend into the interior of the car. Poke the antenna in the hole that is slightly right of center. The lighting was too bright today for a decent picture of the antenna inside my car.

If you have a choice of hookup wire insulation color, pick a color other than black if you are intend a permanent invisible installation.

Antenna location / placement is not critical. You are simply trying to work around the sheetmetal that normally shields the RKE module in an effort to extend the range of operation.

Have fun....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived