CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

key fob range

kobalt

Forgive me but this is a bit of a multi-purpose thread since I was unable to start a seperate poll :huh::huh: So here are my questions:

1. What is your key fob range?

2. Where is the auto door lock/unlock receiver antenna located?

Here is a bit of background info regarding my questions: I had a ramote start unit installed last week and configured to use my standard key fob. This was due to the fact that the remote start key fob would not remote-open my doors or trunk and I found that using/carrying 2 different key fobs was unacceptable. It worked out quite well :) , starting the car by pressing the "lock" button thrice. The remote has an acceptable range of about 75 feet with no obstacles in the way, but when parked in a lot of cars or behind a concrete barrier, I find it necessary to stand no more than ~20 feet away to successfully unlock/lock/start the car. I replaced the battery in my fob but the range has not improved so perhaps the receiver antenna (or the location of) is the culprit.

Once I find the antenna I will attempt to extend the key fob range by either replacing it with a larger unit or perhaps wiring the receiver to the radio antenna. I will of course report my findings here :) Thanx to those who read my post.

There was a thread started sometime back about keyfob range, and it was discovered that if you hold your keyfob up to your chin you get farther range :lol:

Don't know who figured this out, or how.....I tried it.....i'm somewhat embarrassed to say it worked for me.

I'd say my average range is about 50 feet or so, using my stock keyfob with no obstacles.

My Antenna is located with a bunch of other electronics located on the back side of the back seat, acessable through a panel that can be removed in the trunk.

Hope this helps...

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Not sure, as I don't have my manual here...

I think the antenna may be buried in the top of the trunk...

This has been discussed before, although not neccessarily for a '98.

1. What is your key fob range?

2. Where is the auto door lock/unlock receiver antenna located?

Once I find the antenna I will attempt to extend the key fob range by either replacing it with a larger unit or perhaps wiring the receiver to the radio antenna.  I will of course report my findings here  :)  Thanx to those who read my post.

1. Mine depends on surroundings. Service Manual says replace transmitter battery when range decreases to less than 23 feet.

2. Don't know for sure but I suspect it is buried in the wire bundle connected to the RKE module. The RKE module is located on the bottom surface of the rear shelf (where the large speaker is located) accessable from the trunk.

All this applies to '98 and RKE = Remote Keyless Entry.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

On 1991 Seville the antenna is integrated into the light assembly by the back license plate.

Really? That's neat.....seems that would give better recpetion than where the mounted it in a 92 eldorado <_>

-dave B)

I never read the one about holding it up to your chin, but this may be related.

I have found that at ground level the range is a rather poor 30 feet at best.

Once while on vacation I was on a seventh floor balcony of at a motel looking down at the parking lot and the Eldo, decided to see if the lights would flash when locking and unlocking at this distance, probably a good 130 to 150 feet. It worked every time. Go figure.

Next time anyone gets a chance give it a try. :lol:

Again for '98 Seville; the wiring diagram does not show an antenna connection. The antenna could be on the PCB or they could use part of the case as an antenna.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Since I am unemployed and unemployable, I have the time to play with the RKE module on my '98 and see if the range can be improved by experimenting with a "better" receiver antenna.

Two thoughts on the key-fob-to-the-chin operation. It is possible the skull is acting as a reflector for the UHF RF burst and concentrating the signal in the forward direction. Or, it could be as simple as holding the key fob 3 or 4 feet higher.

There has to be an RF engineer on here who can add to the discussion.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I don't recall the range, but it aint that impressive, 10 to 20 feet. It's a common sense that chin level increases the distance. It's a raido wave transmitter, so the higher you position the transmitter, the better its projection, shown by tom k's comment about being on a balcony.

While we are on this subject, someone the other day told me something that I don't believe. He said, that if you lock your keys in the car, that if you call home and have someone press the spare remote holding the receiver close to the car that it will open the car.

I was in mixed company and didn't want to get into a conflict so I just nodded with one eye raised. Since these remotes work on radio frequency and not audio, I don't believe that the above is possible, don't you agree?

While we are on this subject, someone the other day told me something that I don't believe. He said, that if you lock your keys in the car, that if you call home and have someone press the spare remote holding the receiver close to the car that it will open the car.

I was in mixed company and didn't want to get into a conflict so I just nodded with one eye raised. Since these remotes work on radio frequency and not audio, I don't believe that the above is possible, don't you agree?

Impossible. How can the telephone reciever transmit RF signal?

Maybe the fob signal is reflecting off your fillings when held up to your chin. :P

Take Care,

Britt

Britt

... Since these remotes work on radio frequency and not audio, I don't believe that the above is possible, don't you agree?

Impossible. How can the telephone reciever transmit RF signal?

navion,

Isn't a radio signal in the audio range?

Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there...

I think I have been the one that claims the range can be increased with the chin trick....

It all started when I had a aftermarket remote start on a Buick Turbo 10 years ago. Sweet...warm car.

Somehow...somewhere...the idea to increase the range idea was to use your body as the antenna. Hence the chin trick.

It works...

Using the remote in standard form...I can unlock the car maybe 50 feet away. Maybe 2 houses away on our street.

Chin trick....distance goes up to about 15 houses away. Maybe 300-400 feet.

I have tested this over several different 6 packs of beer. It works.

It could be my specfic aura or something like that. I have considered taking pics of the test in the past....but the car is so faaaarrr away.....

I always use the chin trick and yes the range is extended quite far. I usually part at the rear of the parking lot, sometimes if I forget to lock my car, I can turn around and lock it from a really long distance using the chin. Its also a great way to extend the range as the battery starts to go dead..

I am 6'5" so I make a big antenna :lol:

Door ding free zone? I'm there also....

If someone knows of a free video/MP3 site where a video can be uplinked posted....we will make a 'show the chin test video.'

We have a Sony DVD recorder on site.

I have tested this over several different 6 packs of beer. It works.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Funny stuff!

Thanks though Logan, I knew I wasn't making the chin conversation up. :P

I can still remember the night I read that thread, a was out on my street at like 11:30pm, trying it out....it really does work, but I agree with JimD, it probably just has to do with it being higher up. That's not really as fun as an explanation though.

If we ever had a caddyinfo.com meet, we could have a keyfob distance contest.... :P

-dave B)

Non-scientific results with my '98 Seville. All tests from the rear of the vehicle, transmitter battery no-load voltage = 3.2V.

Key fob in pants pocket; maximum range approximately 40 paces.

Key fob at arms length above my head; maximum range approximately 80 paces!

With the trunk lid open (to eliminate part of the metal shielding the RKE receiver module), key fob above my head; maximum range undetermined! I walked over a rise where I could no longer see the car and could still chirp the horn from at least 150 paces distance.

I believe adding an external antenna to the module would extend the range to the next zip code. Or, you could leave the trunk open.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

and could still chirp the horn .

My 92 eldo doesn't chip, nor do the lights flash. The only thing that happens to let me know it's unlocked, is that the interior lights come on.....i think I read somewher that the 92 eldo just doesn't have these features. Is there any way to wire into my exsisting keyless enrty system to make the horn chirp, and the lights flash??

Someone here has to know ;)

THANKS!

-dave B)

I believe adding an external antenna to the module would extend the range to the next zip code. Or, you could leave the trunk open.

Your results are encouraging! I wonder if I could utalize the radio antenna in the rear glass...

I believe adding an external antenna to the module would extend the range to the next zip code.  Or, you could leave the trunk open.

Your results are encouraging! I wonder if I could utalize the radio antenna in the rear glass...

Anything that would send RF directly to the RKE module from the outside world would work, even a piece of 20 ga. wire. My rear glass includes an unused 800 MHz cell phone antenna on the RH side.

The unkown for now is the construction of the RKE module and the layout of the PCB. I will look into that when the WX warms up, or if someone has a spare RKE module to send to me....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived