CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Removing Ignition Switch 99 STS

hiljak

I have a short or bad contacts within my ignition switch assembly (causes the ABS and traction control lights to come on). I took everything apart last week and got all three bolts loose that hold the ignition in (had to reomive the radio/AC modules, center wood grain piece around the shifter, and the knee bolster) but I couldn't get the stinkin wire harnesses unpluged due to the limiteed clearance back there (couldn't get a screw driver in there to release the harness clips and my fingers weren't working for the job).

BTW, after messing around with the ignition trying to get the harnesses off, the lights went away (ABS and traction control). They came back once since I put it all back together but a well placed fist right above the ignition and they went immediately off, so I know it is the ignition switch.

Is there a trick, a tool, or anything that the pros use to release these frickin' harnesses? The dealer wants 1.8 hours to do the job and I could do it, easily, in an hour.....if I could get the stupid clips loose!!

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

hiljak,

Although I have never serviced the ignition switch on a Seville, I have performed such work on other, similar GM vehicle models with ignition switches mounted on the instrument panel (Pontiac Grand Am, Oldsmobile Alero), so I understand your problem.

From my experience, the best tool for the job of releasing the wiring harness connectors from the switch is a right angle screwdriver, especially the type made by Snap-on. These Snap-on screwdrivers have a very short shank above the "bit" that would normally go into the slot on the screw head, so the bit forms a very small hook on the end of the handle portion of the tool. This small "hook tool" is just about perfect for reaching into the backside of the instrument panel, through the radio cavity, to the right of the ignition switch, and pressing down into the square notch on the switch body that can release the retaining tab on the harness connector; when you press/hold down the release tab, you need to pull down on the connector/wires to unseat the terminals inside and fully remove the connector.

I was fortunate enough to "inherent" the Snap-on screwdrivers described above when I took my current job, and it has preven very useful. There may be other tool manufacturers that make a similar tool, but I know that the Craftsman equivalent has a much longer shank above the bit, so the "hook" is much longer than for the Snap-on tool, which would make it more diifficult to use the Craftsman tool in the tight confines around the switch.

Perhaps you can make your own hook-type tool that will serve your needs.

Good luck!

Thanks alot RDWRIOR, thasts exactly what I needed. I bent the end of a cheap small flathead and it worked like a charm. This one will stay in the tool box for a while. thanks.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Archived