CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 STS

franey

I have ran across a 97 STS, with 17000, original miles on the car. It was originally sold in Dallas , and from what i can tell was a one owner up untill it was sold recently. It must have always been garaged ,due to the overall flawless body. Interior smells like new leather and looks like the day it rolled off the show room floor. IT is the pearl white with shale leather interior, the only option that it does not have is the moon roof. The engine compartment and underneath the car is flawless. The car was purchased out of a insurance pool in Dallas, the man has pictures of it inthe compound , the left rear door outer skin was crinkled and the lower rocker panel had a dent in it, the pictures of all of the rest of the car show no damage at all. The door had a new skin put on it and a new lower panel installed . the paint job is a excellent match. I have looked the car over from one end to the other , and based on my 40 plus years kicking tires this is the only damage the car has ever had. I also have known the man who purchased it out of the ins. pool for 40 years.HE said he was at a loss for why it was in the pool , since the damage was so minor, he felt it may have been a theft recovery , and the people had already been paid off. THEIR are no present codes , all history, after you drive it you get no new codes. IT performs flawlessly and is one of the quietest running cars i have been around, no oil leaks and the DEX COOL looks brand new. Still has the old style fuel rail on it. I can not find anything on it that does not work, has the BOSE SYSTEM with the trunk cd changer . Also has the ONSTAR SYSTEM. I would appreciate your input as to what you think the car is worth, bearing in mind he wants as much as he can get out of the car and i would like to buy it for as little as possible.

I would run a CarFax on it. I'm not a big fan of CarFax, but it will tell you where the title has been even if it doesn' tell you where or under what circumstances the car has been. I looked at a 2000 Eldo ETC last week that had 23000 showing, I ran a CarFax and it Stated that when the car was last sold, 04/22/04 it had 60000miles. It really did look good, like new, inside and out. Had to walk away.

Good Luck :)

Franey,

FWIW, I recently found a '99 SLS for my daughter with 23K on it. We got the dealer down to about $12,100 ($13,000 out the door). Hope that will help you guage it some.

I saw low mileage = wreck when I first started reading your post. You mention just a little body damage and the lower rocker panel had a dent in it. The problem is that the rocker and frame rail are intergrated parts.

(I'v seen "artists" build cars, one of which was a fwd unibody where the building platform was floor and trunk pan. This was a real bs build because even the dash vin had to be attached to a new dash asembally, new doglegs, quarters w/s posts roof, upper and lower frame rails and core support. The car should have never been repaired but the insurance company wouldn't pay off because the repair on the 3 week old car with 2k on the clock was 78% of the payoff value. The rebult car was dead on the specks, and I would have felt confidant in the car. The guy also built his mother a new car, from a scrap of metal, but her car wasn't as damaged. The thing is that these artists are far and few between, and I would not feel comfortable with a car with more than a bolt on metal and maybe a full-cut quarter panel that came from the industry's bodymen.)

Most likely, the reason a car of that caliber is in the "pool" is that the frame rail was bent. The only way to can tell if it's been fixed correctly is to set it up on a frame machiene and measure it. Often, this requires disambally to get measuremts from the measureing points. Even if it measures correctly, you don't know the quality of the repair because it's hidden.

As much as you hate to hear it, you would probally be wise to pass on this one. If it's too good to be true, it probally is. Why the heck do you think that a car of this quality/caliber is soaking in the pool? But it's your money, so it's your decision.

Archived