CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

looking for a solution

davedog

I intermintantly have a rotten egg smell coming from my 92 eldorado touring coup....but it only happens about 25% of the time.....I have heard alot of differnet possible reasons for this....what is the most likely cause/solution. Thanks guys!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

i used to get this on my 4.9 only when it stalled abruptly. Guru has said the smell is a sign of a rich mixture. I would start by checking the FPR for evidence of fuel at the vacuum port, and then check for a leaky injector by removing the fuel rail and pressurizing the fuel system and watching for a leaking injector. I assume you have checked for codes and there are no O2 sensor issues.

Clean your TB, make sure you are getting good flow through your air filter, etc but these items are secondary. Mike

Dave,

The following is what Guru noted on Jan 29 regarding a "rotten egg smell"

"You might just try a different brand of gas. The smell comes from sulfur in the fuel. During the winter the engine is going to run richer for a longer period of time following the cold start (it takes longer to warm up) and the cat will injest more raw fuel. The cat will "store" some fuel in it and you may be just smelling the richness from the cat after the coldstart combined with some higher-than-normal sulfur levels in the fuel."

There was another series of post regarding Sulfur in fuel causing gas tank level gage failures.

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

thanks guys, that's some good info. The gas brand thing would make sense, since it only happens some of the time. I'll try to pay attention to what brands i buy, and see if that has anything to do with when it gets stinky :ph34r:

-dave B)

I had the same problem. It ususally occured when I was driving and then stopped at a light or something like that. My gas mileage was also less than perfect. I took it to the shop and they found out that my air and coolant temperature sensors were way out of wack causing a rich fuel mixture. They fixed it and I havn't had any trouble since! My gas mileage went back up as well. The whole repair was around $200. It was embarassing driving a stinky car!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Great that the car is up to snuff, I was wondering what exactly did they do when you say "Air & Coolant temperature censors" what censors were exactly changed, I wonder if this has to do with my poor gas mileage.

Seabass

93 STS

If you suspect that the brand of gas is affecting the smell, I can reccomend Holiday, "Blue Planet" gasoline - it has low sulfur content. I know an enviromental lawyer who swears by the stuff and I can notice a considerable improvement in my exhaust odor (not that I am sniffing exhaust fumes) when I am running it.

Great that the car is up to snuff, I was wondering what exactly did they do when you say "Air & Coolant temperature censors" what censors were exactly changed, I wonder if this has to do with my poor gas mileage.

Seabass

93 STS

:huh: I have no idea which ones they replaced.

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Thanks for the replys guys! I'm leaning towards the gas brand thing. I had a tune up on my car not too long back and they hooked up one of their scanning tools to it to check for problems, and didn't find any sensors out of whack. The mechanic I took it to is a good freind, so I trust his judgement.

I'll try to keep up with where I'm getting my gas from now on.

-dave B)

All brands of gasoline in MOST areas of the country are moving to low sulfur content....partly the reason for some of the latest rounds of price increases. Thank you again California! Anyway, as I've said before, gasoline is very geographically aligned. In other words, Shell does not ship a load of gas from a refinery in California to sell it in New Jersey, that would be pretty stupid. If you live near a coast or seaport, chance are your gas is being refined offshore, like in Venezuela or someplace. And ALL of the brands in your area will be getting their gas from the same source.

Moral of story: It could be the gasoline, but that is probably the most UN likely cause. The other reasons mentioned would be the first place to look. If you don't believe that, ask your non-stinky neighbor where he buys his gas...then you do the same. If you still get the smell and he doesn't then you have ruled that out pretty quickly.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived