CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hub Bearing Replacement - This Weekend

Cadiholic

The noisy hub bearing is gonna go bye-bye this weekend. Because of all your great tips and info (I've read every post in the archives about it!), I feel confident I can pull it off. I think I'll change out the front brake pads while I'm at it. Anybody got a pic or diagram they can post? It might come in handy. I've got a '91 Eldo.

Thanks -------- (BTW, my first post )

Easy job, pull the caliper, rotor, remove the large nut, turn the flange to gain access to the four bolts, and remove them. If you are lucky, the hub will come off the axle splines easily, try tapping the center of axle with a brass bar, while pulling the hub. If you are unable to remove the hub from the axle shaft you may need a puller, but I didnt need one with my 91 Seville and I did both front axles. Make sure you torque all bolts back to spec with a torque wrench. (very important). Mike

post-3-1110295007_thumb.jpg

The noisy hub bearing is gonna go bye-bye this weekend. Because of all your great tips and info (I've read every post in the archives about it!), I feel confident I can pull it off. I think I'll change out the front brake pads while I'm at it. Anybody got a pic or diagram they can post? It might come in handy. I've got a '91 Eldo.

Thanks -------- (BTW, my first post )

While replacing the pads pay attention to the condition of the caliper pins and the bushings. Clean them out and grease if necessary. If there is corosion on the pins the manual recimmends replacement.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Scotty,

Thanks so much for the extra info and especially the scan - ALWAYS helps to have a diagram.

adallak,

Thanks for the heads up on the pins and bushings. I usually over-clean everything anyway!

After I'm done I'll report back and let you know if I was successful, or if I'm riding the bus.

Archived