CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What Happened to my Vents?

Caddynut

Well, I posted a message before about my '92 Seville and am still stumped. I replaced my blower fan and it turns on and works great, but I have NO airflow into the cabin of the car. Even when I drive down the road...no airflow. I guess my vents are stuck shut...for some reason. They worked fine until I changed that blower motor. I don't know too much of how the vents are controlled. Are they electric motor controlled...vaccuum? Any suggestions on what I can check? Thanks for ANY help....I am ready to drive the car off a cliff.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I hate to say this, but the simple thing is - that the fan wires might be installed backwards. There was a similar post some time ago (so it is possible).

Appparently, the DC wires can be reversed at the plug or relay and the fan will turn, but backwards (which is impossible to notice when assembled) .

Due to the centrifugal blower-wheel blade pitch - you might not have any reverse air flow unlike an axial fan (like a propeller).

If you have already tried this...

Perhaps an air-mix door is stuck shut somehow?

Are you certain the heater core or AC evaporator are not plugged with debris?

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

The plug only plugs in one way. I checked and it is right. Could it be possible that the fan blades are angled the wrong way?

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

Perhaps an air-mix door is stuck shut somehow?

TDK, he does not get even cold air, so that is not airmix door. Yout guess concerning the polarity may be right one.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I had a problem with a 93 Bonneville where the fan worked but no air came out anywhere. My son was driving it and we pulled everything we could out of under the dash and had the blower motor out 3 times. The poor kid drove around for 2 years with no heat or AC. I finally broke down one day and went into a GM dealer and explained the situation to them. They said they had seen the heater core completely plugged with dirt which blocked all airflow. We finally pulled the blower motor one day and with the aid of a mirror, several brushes, and a shop vac, cleaned the crud off the front of the heater core. We wanted to pull it but it looked like a 2 day job. The core had this moist, spongy crud on it but we got enough cleaned off to get back good airflow from the vents and defrost. The car had about 310,000 miles on it at the time but this may be something to check out if nothing else works. I felt stupid for not asking an expert sooner but never would have guessed that was the problem. We were convinced it was a stuck door somewhere but could never find it.

had a problem with a 93 Bonneville where the fan worked but no air came out anywhere. My son was driving it and we pulled everything we could out of under the dash and had the blower motor out 3 times. The poor kid drove around for 2 years with no heat or AC. I finally broke down one day and went into a GM dealer and explained the situation to them. They said they had seen the heater core completely plugged with dirt which blocked all airflow. We finally pulled the blower motor one day and with the aid of a mirror, several brushes, and a shop vac, cleaned the crud off the front of the heater core. We wanted to pull it but it looked like a 2 day job. The core had this moist, spongy crud on it but we got enough cleaned off to get back good airflow from the vents and defrost. The car had about 310,000 miles on it at the time but this may be something to check out if nothing else works. I felt stupid for not asking an expert sooner but never would have guessed that was the problem. We were convinced it was a stuck door somewhere but could never find it.

DocFey,

I do not understand how the heater core might be plugged with dirt to the extent it blocked the airflow through it completely, but well if you saw it, it may happen...There is an air mix door under the glove box which will send all air flow through the heater core if 90 degrees has been set on climate control. In this case you will get no air, I agree. But if you open the air mix door (60 degrees setting) it will allow the air flow to bypass the heater core and you should get some air through your vents.

Caddynut,

Did you try 60 degrees? Still did not get any air through the vents ? Are you sure your air mix door works properly? Just take out the glove box and look at it changing settings from 60 to 90 degrees and back it should open and close.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Did you check the actuators for functioning?, there are two or three actuators control the doors. in my 1998 STS I found one of the actuators gears was broken. The main gear is quarter turn to open or close the gate. Because the gears are broken the diameter of the gear got bigger and stuck in one position.

I had to file the internals to get the plastic gear to position. I managed to get that. then I glued the gear to the shaft with epoxy steel. and since then it is working fine.

The other option you have is to rotate the gear to the open position and just keep it in that position and disconnect the power to it. I tried this method and worked fine as well before I decide to repair the gear.

Note that the actuators all look the same from out side however, each has different function so do not swap them.

Good luck to you

Adallak-Sounds weird but we pulled the car into the garage in January with nothing coming from the vents,cleaned the crud out of the heater core, and had heat/defrost/vent. I have been working on cars for 40 years and would NEVER have guessed this one. We had checked all the vacuum actuators, lines, etc. This is what made it so crazy. There was a mixing door for inside/outside air upstream of the blower but no other outlet for the air other than passing through the heater core. Just tuck this info away if all else fails. I'll be following the posts to see what happens. Good Luck~

Look at the A/C box on the firewall in the engine compartment. They have been known to get brittle with age and heat exposure. I had to patch almost 10 places where pieces of mine broke and fell off allowing the air to blow into the engine compartment instead of the cabin. Look it over carefully as the cracks and holes may be hard to see.

Charles

Charles

Archived