CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strut Mounts

Scotty

I am about to order my struts and springs and the strut mounts are $82 each or $164.00. My question is, if I am replacing my struts, do I need to replace the strut mounts. What is the sign of a bad strut mount? When I take them out will they look damaged if they are bad? If they are good, I suppose I can use the old ones.

If I don't need to spend $164.00 I would rather not. Anyone familiar with this? Thanks, Mike

I replaced the mounts on mine while they were apart. I'm not sure what the signs of a bad one would be, but my old ones look fine and the bearings feel fine. I'll keep telling myself that I'm benefitting from the fresh rubber in the new ones.......

I replaced the mounts on mine while they were apart. I'm not sure what the signs of a bad one would be, but my old ones look fine and the bearings feel fine. I'll keep telling myself that I'm benefitting from the fresh rubber in the new ones.......

Thanks Jack, there are bearings in it, I will have to cruise through the manual to see, what the symptoms are of a bad mount, my pass side hits bumps really hard in the front, but my struts appear to be badly shot... Thanks, Mike

My left side was really rattling over bumps and that's where the worst strut was. I think if the rubber in the mount was really bad - like a torn motor mount - it could also cause rattling, but that didn't look like the case with mine.

My left side was really rattling over bumps and that's where the worst strut was. I think if the rubber in the mount was really bad - like a torn motor mount - it could also cause rattling, but that didn't look like the case with mine.

Thanks Jack, I think I will pass on buying them now and inspect them close, if they are questionable I will buy them before I re-install the struts, Thanks, Mike

Scotty, I wouldn't put new struts on without also doing the strut bearings (mounts). They're only about 70 bucks each from GMpartsdirect if I recall correctly. If you don't put new ones on, your old ones will start rattling or squeaking 1000 miles after you put the new struts on, I GUARANTEE IT! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Scotty, I wouldn't put new struts on without also doing the strut bearings (mounts). If you don't put new ones on, your old ones will start rattling or squeaking 1000 miles after you put the new struts on, I GUARANTEE IT! :)

I agree that same thing happened on my wifes Buick

Instead of doing springs I ordered the strut mounts instead, I can always do the springs later, and plan to do the rear springs right away... when I do the rear struts, Thanks guys

• 8 months later...

I ordered the front strut boots today. I have been wanting to replace my strut rod bushings with POLY bushings to tighten up the handling and responsiveness. I found "improved design" thermoplastic bushings at Rockauto for my Deville! Yeah...

Doing a little reseach I found this, thermoplastic bushings are made with high temperature synthetics for increased service life and optimum performance. Thermoplastic bushings are made to withstand high impacts and are extremely resistant to environmental factors.

Has anyone used these? They are $24, I think I will order them.

When I changed my Struts the instructions called for testing the strut mounts by just testing them to ensure they move freely back and forth without any kind of grinding noise. I looked at mine from my 93 and they looked good. I tested on and off the struts. While on, I just turned the struts back and forth. They moved freely without any noise so I didn't replace them. No problem yet.

What happened about your back end of the car moving back and forth? I assume you have new knuckles so that is not the problem?

Archived