CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Doing a little TLC on my Seville

rockfangd

Hi All.

So as  I get ready to take my 97 Seville out for the season I felt the need to give it some love. 

Last year the ABS pump was lazy and would not engage on startup causing the christmas tree of lights to come on.

I bought a nice southern unit(fingers crossed) 

I am replacing a few lines as well. The mains and the fronts.

I also decided to replace the radiator hoses and thermostat while I am there.

So tonight I got to the point of removing the hoses and thermostat. I noticed when I pulled the neck off that there is a rubber seal in the center portion of the thermostat that is swollen and restricting it. No idea what is going on with that. So replacement was a good call. Car has been rather flawless since I had the engine serted and sealed however many years ago. But I always noted that it ran warmer than the many NorthStars I have owned and driven. Both my 96 and 97 Deville would run 196 all day long. This one would usually run 205 or so. I hope this was the cause. Radiator is fine as well. I replaced that a few years ago. Coolant gets drained and refilled every 2 years. 

I also ordered the OEM torque struts as my left one is torn again. Grr. I hope the oe ones hold up better All of the mounts have been replaced.

I am going to finish it off with a new battery and negative battery cable. Cannot wait to have it out again. 

Body is still flawless, underside has a few small minor spots showing surface rust. Has never seen a winter though. 

I will have to post a pic of both of my 97s paired when I finish. Pic below is the day I brought it home , After I detailed it of course. Still makes me drool.

I still Love this body style. Newer ones are nice but for quality built these are just wonderful

Happy motoring

1025101310a.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

My favorite Seville body style as well.  Good luck with all your maintenance and repairs; looks great.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Well I am exhausted but had some success today.

I got all of the lines done, bled, and have a nice hard pedal.

I also got the upper, lower radiator hoses and thermostat done.

I had my fingers crossed when I started the car. Was very happy when there was no unnecessary lights on.

I have to clean up and secure the lines, clean and coat the wheelwells, purge the cooling system, replace the torque struts, and torque my wheels.

On a side note I was not so pleased that all of my new AC Delco parts were plastered with made in China. Just makes it look cheap.

Hoping to be able to drive it next weekend

GM FAN FOREVER

Looks good!  Being a Buffalo car, have you ever considered brushing on  a. Mixture of hot candle wax and hot grease to the underside of the car?  I heard it works well to keep rust away. I myself use a mixture of transmission  fluid, and motor oil in a spray bottle.

also i purchased a bottle of at ATP AT-205 to apply on all my rubber hoses, grease cups, bushings, cvboots, etc.. I recently watched youtuber Scotty Killmer, and he said if you spray this stuff on these parts, it will rejuvinate them. And make them last longer.  I got a bottle for $11 shipped to my house on eBay.  I already use "303" on my belts, tires, and vinyl and plastic in the car.

you and i put few miles on the car, so our tires will be with us for some time.

Thank you.

I am going to have the bottom only coated this year. I am just starting to see a few surface rust spots coming up on the underside.

This car barely sees rain, has never seen snow. I put it away early and take it out late.

So last night was rather irritating. It was the end of a long monday. I put the line retainer clips back on (the ones that hold the lines) That sucked.

But I then noticed that the boot on top of the steering rack is not attached to the rack. It has probably been off for awhile since I had the engine redone.

Is there any possible trick to getting that boot back on? It is the one that covers the bottom of the steering shaft. I also need to find out where that noise in the column is coming from.

Tonight was good. Torque struts are in, purging cooling system, rotating tires, front brakes serviced

If I can get that stupid boot back on I can put the LF wheel back on. Grr

GM FAN FOREVER

So I had mixed success today in finishing up The Seville.

Transmission went good. 

cooling system went good

Oil change went good.

Got the boot back on the rack ok. Just is a tight press fit.

Now to the test drive. Started good. Brake pedal is good, had to burnish the rotors though (winter storage)

No lights were on at first but when I did a hard acceleration on the highway once I got to about 60 mph the abs and traction lights came on.

Pulled and cleared codes, came right back. Codes are 1233, and 1235. I believe that is RF and RR Speed sensor fault.

It is intermittent. Was not a issue before I started all of the work. I did not unplug either hub. Only the LF iirc.

I am thinking maybe the plug to the EBTCM.. Grr. I dont care for the design of that plug. Very easy to break as well.

It seems like it only triggers on a good acceleration. Half the times I did it the lights triggered. Sometimes they did not.

Not looking forward to having to mess with that again, but will see

GM FAN FOREVER

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:30 PM, rockfangd said:

Well I am exhausted but had some success today.

I got all of the lines done, bled, and have a nice hard pedal.

I also got the upper, lower radiator hoses and thermostat done.

I had my fingers crossed when I started the car. Was very happy when there was no unnecessary lights on.

I have to clean up and secure the lines, clean and coat the wheelwells, purge the cooling system, replace the torque struts, and torque my wheels.

On a side note I was not so pleased that all of my new AC Delco parts were plastered with made in China. Just makes it look cheap.

Hoping to be able to drive it next weekend

Which line did you replace, brake lines?

That is VERY upsetting that AC Delco is made in China, but don't get me started.   Lets transfer more intellectual property and manufacturing to them, huh?, we need to manufacture again, the state sanctioned slavery has to stop.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

15 hours ago, rockfangd said:

So I had mixed success today in finishing up The Seville.

Transmission went good. 

cooling system went good

Oil change went good.

Got the boot back on the rack ok. Just is a tight press fit.

Now to the test drive. Started good. Brake pedal is good, had to burnish the rotors though (winter storage)

No lights were on at first but when I did a hard acceleration on the highway once I got to about 60 mph the abs and traction lights came on.

Pulled and cleared codes, came right back. Codes are 1233, and 1235. I believe that is RF and RR Speed sensor fault.

It is intermittent. Was not a issue before I started all of the work. I did not unplug either hub. Only the LF iirc.

I am thinking maybe the plug to the EBTCM.. Grr. I dont care for the design of that plug. Very easy to break as well.

It seems like it only triggers on a good acceleration. Half the times I did it the lights triggered. Sometimes they did not.

Not looking forward to having to mess with that again, but will see

Yes, that plug is terrible.   Ill bet you resetting it will help.  Also consider any grounds you might have loosened or disturbed.  Your codes are on the right side, so it may be related.  There is a ground on the ABS motor itself.   I would also, R&R the wheel sensor plugs and spray them with contact cleaner and reattach.

That is a beautiful Seville. 

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

9 hours ago, BodybyFisher said:

Which line did you replace, brake lines?

That is VERY upsetting that AC Delco is made in China, but don't get me started.   Lets transfer more intellectual property and manufacturing to them, huh?, we need to manufacture again, the state sanctioned slavery has to stop.

I agree. Makes me sick. Its one thing to be made in another country, but it is plastered on the parts.

I give a good example. The front end on most of the Full size buses I work on is Spicer. But the fact that it is made in India is the biggest words on the whole thing

Brake lines is what I changed. The only ground I touched was the one on the pump itself, which I cleaned when I replaced the pump. I have also added another ground to that stud just to be safe 

Thank you. I love The Seville. I must admit though that it is very difficult to find parts for it. They are nearly impossible to find and are a animal of their own

GM FAN FOREVER

So today  I drove it pretty hard. No codes, no issues. Weird. I will have to see if anything reoccurs.

Oh boy she takes off like a rocket though. Love the v8, The Northstar has its own sound unlike any other v8.

Have to be prepared for the torque steer though. Can surprise you.

Incredibly smooth and tight ride though, amazing for being over 20 years old

GM FAN FOREVER

That is terrific.

And yes, the NS is amazing

Archived