CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 Deville Transmission Issue

Hi there, 

I’m new here and am in need of some assistance to repair my buddies 2005 Cadillac Deville transmission. 

The info I was given: he left for an appointment and car made it a few miles out of town when it lost all forward ability as well as reverse. He said it was not making noises, no messages came on the cluster, when he checked the fluid it was low so he added some when his father came with some. Car still would not move forward or reverse, indicator goes into selected gears which you can feel it engaging but will not move the car. He had it towed back to the house which is where I changed the transmission filter and pan gasket. The fluid was dark but did not smell burnt and the pan magnet did not have much collected on it as I was expecting to see thinking he must have burnt the clutches up in it. 

Now that I’ve got the new filter and gasket in it and filled with fluid it still does not want to move. You can feel it engage but with the wheels on the ground the engine just revs and goes no where!! When I jack it up and on stands the wheels will turn once you put it into gear in reverse and in all forward gears as well as in neutral position. 

Any info or help would be great as I don’t know Cadillacs very well but am trying to learn. I also pulled the codes off the cluster and tried to attach a photo of those codes I got in case any of them point towards a solution to his transmission issue but it won’t let me upload the photo. I would look them up myself but can’t seem to find a list of them anywhere I’ve looked. 

Thanks in advance 

Is it whining?

I would have concluded as you have so far.  

That you have both forward and reverse gears out on the ground, but they rotate the wheels whilst in the air, it sounds like a pressure problem, a pump maybe.  

You should check the pressure at all available points.  Each gear will have a normal pressure range.   Do you have the factory service manual?

If not check your local library for alldata or mitchell.  My library has alldata on line and you can access diagnostics for all makes and models.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm