CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM News Feed:GM to Invest $300 Million, Add 400 Jobs at Michigan Plant for New Chevrolet Electric Vehicle

Bruce Nunnally

General Motors is investing $300 million in its Orion Township, Michigan, assembly plant to produce a new Chevrolet electric vehicle that will bring 400 new jobs to the Orion plant. Today’s announcement is part of GM’s new commitment to invest a total of $1.8 billion in its United States manufacturing operations, creating 700 new jobs and supporting 28,000 jobs across six states.

View the full article

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

So I'm wondering how does this coincide with GM's announcement that Cadillac was supposed to lead the way in the future of GM's EV program?  Do you think that Cadillac will be involved in this?   I read the article and Cadillac was just mentioned is passing and the new vehicle with have Bolt technology (maybe just a new body style on-frame)???  

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I have not heard anything about a Bolt-Size Cadillac (102" wheelbase).  I think the next Cadillac BEV/Hybrid will be a Midsize Crossover.  Possible that this Chevrolet will produce the platform that that Cadillac comes from but unclear.  I like the bolt in terms of performance and specs but it is a very small commuter with a 238 mile range.  Hopefully the new platform will bring a 400+ mile range.

Bruce

400 plus mile range would raise the bar (by a big leap) but that is going to mean a bigger battery (as I don't see any new technologies out there that would extend the present chemistry). And if you take away Tesla, the actual number of electric-only sales are declining, so even though GM must move forward to meet the futures electric needs, they (electric demand) isn't exactly forthcoming.  I'm also predicting that Tesla has 'shot most of its load' and they may also be in trouble again soon.  The new Y model is just a CUV Model 3 and I think that the Tesla backorders are close to being caught up and new orders are beginning to wain.  Unless legislated, like China, I don't see the electric market to take any leaps soon.  Just some miscellaneous ramblings.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I agree it is curious that auto mfrs all say all electric is the future when no one but Tesla can entice more than a few people to buy electric.  I wonder if the key is high performance electric vehicles.

Bruce

Archived