CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ATS Coupe Questions

My 2002 ETC red Collectors' head gasket broke, so I'm selling it if anyone's interested.  Other than the motor, its appearance is intact and beautiful, and there's only a couple of mechanical/suspension soft spots. 98k miles.

And, I'm going to get an ATS Coupe.

Is the V6 a great deal better than the 4?

Seems like the premium V6's that I see, 2015-2016, have All Wheel Drive.  I'm in California, so I rather prefer real wheel drive.  Was this an oft-ordered option, or what?

Is there anything special I should be looking for with this car?

THANKS

We have a 2L TT ATS Premium Sedan and the ATS-V Coupe.  I think either engine is a good match for the ATS.  I like our 2L Turbo ATS Sedan.

The 2L Turbo Four is a fun engine; I would avoid the base 2.5L normally aspirated 4.   The 2L Turbo has some aftermarket tuning options.  The 3.6L has been fine; some reports of eating timing chains but hopefully that was sorted out under warranty.  It has more peak hp than the 4, but similar if inferior torque curve up to around 5K rpm.  There are some year to year differences -- for example the LFX 3.6L from 13-15 is somewhat different than the LGX 3.6L from 16 on. 

Likewise the 2L got a better tune in 2015 and more torque from 2016 to present than prior albeit in a more narrow range.

Year(s) Model Power Torque Dyno Chart
2013–2014 Cadillac ATS 272 hp (203 kW) @ 5500 rpm 260 ft⋅lb (353 N⋅m) @ 1700–5500 rpm link
2015–present 295 ft⋅lb (400 N⋅m) @ 3000–4600 rpm

013–2015 Cadillac ATS 321 hp (239 kW) @ 6800 rpm 274 lb⋅ft (371 N⋅m) @ 4800 rpm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Each car I have seen so far has a disable button but I predict that if one leaves it enabled one will gain trust in start/stop dependability.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 4 months later...

Coolness, did you ever sell the car with the head gasket problem?  There is a Metallic Seal Up product by Jones Motor Purr that has been known to fix this problem for up to 2 years on a car.  There is a Cadillac mechanic in Harbor City, Macias Cadillac, who has been using Motor Purr products for decades--the father and now the son, who know these products well, and recommend them highly.  Just curious.  Thanks.

Edited by Otho

On 8/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, Otho said:

Coolness, did you ever sell the car with the head gasket problem?  There is a Metallic Seal Up product by Jones Motor Purr that has been known to fix this problem for up to 2 years on a car.  There is a Cadillac mechanic in Harbor City, Macias Cadillac, who has been using Motor Purr products for decades--the father and now the son, who know these products well, and recommend them highly.  Just curious.  Thanks.

These types of products do not typically work on the Northstar as it is the head bolt that has pulled up and out so there is movement.  It is not due to a gap in the head gasket

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm