CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need advice.. 1992 verus 2000 Eldorado

Hey guys, I am currently looking at a 1992 Eldorado with the 4.9 engine and a 2000 Eldorado with the NorthStar engine. Both have less than 50K miles and seem to be in very good, if not excellent condition.  Will be using as a daily driver.  Which one would you recommend? More reliable? Please advise and why? What to look for when checking both out? Oh, btw, both are one owners. Thanks!

1992?....that's only 1800 miles per year....every year. Little bit odd. 

'92 will have OBDI.....so you can use onboard diagnostics. 2000 is OBDII. 

'92 will have a unique 'one year only rear suspension' and parts. 1993 and latter the rear suspension was different. 

'92. Only drivers side air bag....no passenger side air bag.  

Having owned both a 4.9 and a Northstar at different times.....I prefer the 4.9 setup. 

I personally loved the interior of my 2000 Eldo. So plush for leather. That year was different than the 90s.

With the 92 being 1 year only suspension I am not sure if you will run into issues later on. 

The smooth power of the 4.6 blows away the 4.9. Both are very reliable. 

The 4.9 has a few issues with coolant pipes, waterpump, and a few others.

The 4.6 is plagued with the Headbolt issue. 

The only reason why I would not buy a 2000 is because whatever was done with that era Northstar caused nearly all I have ever seen to use alot of oil. Both of my 97s use no oil.

My 00 and my 01 Driven just the same used a bit. I was having to add oil at least once a month, if not more. That is the reason why I got rid of them.

The door panels are not great. Not sure about the 92 though as I have had 96+. Check the door panels in both for looseness ans pulling away from the door. The chance you can find one is very slim as I have tried. Some are just not fixable as the plastic is so brittle.

What a beautiful car they are though, and the no frame around the windows is so cool. 

Feature wise the 2000 will blow the 92 away. Both have onboard diag, the 2000 will have much better keyless entry, has memory personalization, likely RDS radio, cd changer, nice cluster, I could go all day on this.

The 4.9l had distributor setup where as the 4.6 did not. The coil packs on the 4.6 were very reliable. I have only had to change a few (ever). The 4.9 uses one coil atop the distributor IIRC.

Also remember that the 1992 is the first year production so the amount of bugs it may have compared to the 2000 is likely more. 2002 was the last year of production.

Can you provide more details of both? and possibly a few pictures.

I hope this helps

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

A pulled head bolt in a Northstar is typically the end of the road for the car. Very few actually get repaired.

The ride control suspension messages can also be a issue. A variety of ways to deal with that. The 1992 the system can be disabled with a relay or changing some IPC settings. 

The 4.9 is kind of odd being aluminum block with iron heads. But you never hear about those pulling a head bolt up (perhaps they pre-date interenet postings to some extent). 

Little online info available about the '92 rear suspension.....it changed in '93. 

I did see this useful link about 'New for '93' Eldorado details..

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1990/cad93e.htm

Plain and simple the 92 with the 4.9 !  I would and did avoid the 4.6 when I bought my 93 Deville!

As far as the lo-miles I would believe most esp. if grandpa is selling you the car.

Sure a full mechanical inspection is the smartest thing to do and a Carfax to verify mileage wont hurt either!

Older Caddys are hard to sell in most cases so there are many out there with few buyers.

I went to Fla. to score my 93 Deville 4.9!  No regret so far!

Leaving today from NY to Fla. to soak up some glorious sunshine!

Gonna drive the 93 too!

My greedy sister is trying to sell my dads 17 XTS and wants full blown retail!

She wants $23k while there are several for $19k.  

The dealer offered her $15k!

She wines that she had NO calls!  I guess those 10 Gucci purses she has picked out to buy will have to wait!

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I believe the 92 had the same rear suspension as my 91, it had a composite transverse spring design much like the corvette.  I loved the way my 91 handled it was so tight especially the rear and had no problems with it.  The Guru once said that the 91 was built to compete with the European brands. 

I see many here wanting to distance themselves from the 4.6.  That is disconcerting especially given that Logan says that few are repaired.  That is no doubt due to the cost of repair and difficulty in finding a mechanic that understands how to repair them unfortunately. 

Age would be the 4.9s worst enemy, NOT the mileage.  The cylinder sleeves are sealed at the bottom with O-rings that dry out and leak coolant into the crankcase.   If you search posts by @Marika here you will see that was the end of her 92.    If you buy this car definitely flush the cooling system and use the cooling system supplement tablets and never run without them.  Always keep an eye on the oil if it looks like chocolate milk stop driving it.   Don't use synthetic oil in it, I had bad results.  Use a standard 10W30.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My GM service info only goes back to 1998.

I did find a pic on Google of the late 80's Cadillac single leaf rear suspension (thanks auto zone..)

Used only on the first year of the 'new' 1992 Seville and Eldo body style.

caddysingle.gif

I dont really want to get into the Northstar debate but will just say when they run good they run very good.

As for the monoleaf setup My Cutlass Supreme had it. It was very unique.

Does the 92 have air ride? I ask this because of the monoleaf setup.

Only issue I have run into with the monoleaf is Sag. I used to install helpers at the knuckles to help take up the sag

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I just put anther trip from ny to fla in my 93 deville.  it was loaded with grannys knicknacks too!                                                                                                                                                                                           Drove fine and the rear air suspension kept the back end level with the heavy load!                                                                                                                                                                                                                              the a/c needs a charge for this fla. heat!  I got 25 mpg on the ride dowwn 95.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Heat suree feels good instead of the NY cold n snow!                        

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Nice glad the trip went well.  Being in NY myself that hurts haha...  my son is in boca, maybe Ill drop in on him 😉

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Still in Largo as  see they are gettin again in the"lake effect snow belt".                                                                                                                                                                                                                         I have all the a/c service stuff at home so will charge it when i get back.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   On the lookout for a rust free  GM pickup 4x4 but they are far and few here in rebel/tourist land.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Edited by sonjaab

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Syracuse is famous for that lake affect.  Didnt the syracuse univ dome collapse from snow?  

I appraised the Dewitt Mall and they spoke about 90 to 100 inches of snow each winter if I recall.  Have you been to Carousel?

Only been in the place once to get me a new Hooters t-shirt!

With the bus lines running direct from the ghetto to the place and the almost daily violent and petty crimes being commited I will stay away unless I have my pistol locked and loaded!

During the heavy snowfalls they usually send guys up on top to shovel it off or deflate the roof to melt it.

The Carrier dome with NO air conditioning built into it!  LOL!

Who said educators had any brains or common sense?

DUH!  Forgot to say I have been to the dome many times for concerts, SU b-ball and f-ball too!

The stairs are a SOB,  Seats hard , Parking a PIA, and warm beer and food $pendy but cheap compared to some of the major league parks I have been to !

Seen Santana there as it was the first concert there IIRC!  

Edited by sonjaab

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY