CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replaced them today, learned a few things. Fairly easy to do, only $39 set on Amazon, among other places. The car must be equally lifted after both wheels off; one side of the suspension  cannot be "loaded" and the side unloaded. Equal tension needed on both sides of the sway bar.  ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS !!!!  I also chocked the rear wheels from moving. If your link boots are ripped like mine were, spray PB Blaster or other lubricant on the studs, tap around them them with a ball peen to allow penetration, and allow to soak overnight. Give them a good smack the next day and they should pop right out, as long as you have access to swing the hammer. Severe cases may need some heat. Replacing the new ones was a cake walk; nothing to it. For added security, I applied a small amount Loctite on the threads and torqued the bolts. Once the wheels are back on and lowered back off the jack stands, take off the caps on the strut towers and push down on the bumper. If there is any upward movement of the shock head bolt, secure it. It was amazing how smoother and quieter the ride is after doing all of this in one weekend.  I noticed no more popping, rattling or tapping; completely quiet again. Hope this helps someone out there !!!

Good job, nice report.   I would add be cautious with eye protection when spraying PB Blaster or other penetrant if you are lying under the item you are spraying (ask me how I know). 

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived